Friday 13 April 2012

HAPPY Friday The 13TH It Was, It Was !

What a glorious day was this Friday the 13th !  I will say now, and many times again I hope, that I find Friday the 13th Days are usually pretty good days for me.  I love this picture I took this morning !

"It even started out beautiful and glorious!"


 I so enjoyed the drive this morning "North of the Checkerboard" up to Dr. Loney's office for my weekly shot in the arm.  Good thing too, since I had missed last week I have had been having some pretty "itchy" reactions to something lately.

"The Farmer's have been taking advantage of the good weather by getting out onto the fields."


"On my way back home "South of the Checkerboard", I had to ease my foot off the gas pedal a bit, as I didn't want to find myself further on up the Highway, like this poor unfortunate I passed by."


Friday mornings are pretty much a "write-off", by the time I make the trip to Lion's Head and back it is usually 10:30 or 11:00 by the time I get back home some times.  Today it was closer to 11:00, as I stopped at the local Thrift Store up there looking for a certain item, however not finding one I ended coming away with a Quiche dish for $2.00 and a huge Grapevine for $3.00 ...... once again she "scores" with some savings !!!  

"I can't wait to figure out where this is going to go.  Oh yes, can't wait to fill those planters for our front deck either."


"I do love using a "Quiche" dish to do a deep dish Apple pie, as I find it to have just a wee little bit more depth then a regular deep dish pie plate."


Before my Doctor's appointment, I had to go into Lion's Head to pickup a little something I had arranged to purchase from the Lion's Head Swap group yesterday.  Once again, she "scores" !!!  LOL

"I was so happy when I had came across this lamp, as it will fit in with the newly done over spare bedroom perfect to go along with ...."


"The lamp shade I already had which goes on a swag.   Rob still has to install this for me over top of ....."


"A chair I have been carting around with me for years, just knowing I would one day have the "perfect" spot for it.  Just look at that ... the "perfect spot has been found !  I can't wait until the swag gets hung up over top of it in this corner.  Can you picture it?  Oh, I just noticed there I am in the mirror with my trusty little Fuji Camera ... lol."


Seriously though I needed to knock off all this arranging and re-arranging and get our Dinner made and on the table.  I have been craving a French Leek and Ham Shepherd's Pie for the past couple of weeks or so.  Today was the day I was making it, with the only difference being it was a "Ontario" Leek and Ham Shepherd's Pie ....

"Once the onions were translucent the leeks were added to the pan."


"Two chopped tomatoes where next to go in."


"Oh yes, there is always a mess or two to be cleaned up."


"Ham thinly sliced followed after the tomatoes had cooked a bit and fallen apart."


"The potatoes had been boiled, drained and mashed with butter and Half & Half added to them, then put in the bottom of a lightly oiled casserole, with the leek and ham mixture going in on top."


"A layer of mashed potatoes over top of all, along with an egg wash and some shredded cheese before going into the preheated 375*F oven."



"Thirty minutes or so later, out of the oven and served up onto our plates.  Dinner was served."


Recipe please:

Recipe Source: allrecipes.com

French Leek & Ham Shepherd's Pie

Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 45 Min
Ready In: 1 Hr

Ingredients
2 1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons butter
1 pinch ground nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds leeks, sliced
2 medium tomatoes - peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 pounds cooked ham, thinly sliced
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil a 2 quart casserole dish.


Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop. Stir in the cream, butter, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and mash until smooth.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion until translucent. Stir in the leek and cook another minute until the leek is soft, but not brown. Mix in the peeled tomatoes, lower the heat, and simmer five minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes have lost some of their shape. Stir in the ham and season with salt and pepper.

Spread half of the mashed potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour in the ham and leek sauce and cover with the remaining mashed potatoes. Brush the surface of the mashed potatoes with the beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle on the shredded mozzarella. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 675 | Total Fat: 40.8g | Cholesterol: 143mg








I have heard the weather is suppose to be changing to rain tomorrow afternoon for a few days.  I suppose the rain will be good, however I can't wait until everything is dry enough for Rob to be able to work up the vegetable garden before long.  I also am started to think I would like to get started at cleaning up the flower beds, as the gardening "itch" is starting to set in.

Tomorrow there is lots I want to do and people to see, so I think I am almost ready to call it a day here, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

3 comments:

  1. What a pretty picture of the morning frost!! Your spare room looks so inviting, I want to get a book and snuggle up for the day

    ReplyDelete
  2. that quiche looks good ,will try this one soon!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...