Monday, 4 April 2011

Time to Come out of Hibernation & Drop Those Extra Pounds......

Wow I hope that freaky snow we had last night doesn't send my body back into hibernation mode again!  That was wild to look out and see large pelting wet snow flakes covering the ground.  Much to my delight the rain took care of that & it was all gone this morning upon awakening.  Thank Goodness, as I for one am so tired of snow & muck......bring on the summer I say!

Today:

Rain at times heavy ending near noon then cloudy with 60 percent chance of rain. Risk of thunderstorms early this morning. Amount 20 to 30 mm. Wind southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50. High 12.


Tonight:

Cloudy with 60 percent chance of rain showers early this evening and 40 percent chance of wet flurries overnight. Wind southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming northwest 30 gusting to 50 before morning. Low minus 2.


Ummm this appears to be a very wet Spring day ahead.  Muck, muck & more muck.  Suppose that is better then snow, snow & more snow.

The boys left for home just before lunch yesterday.  It really didn't take me too long to clean up the aftermath of them being here.  We all really had a good time together with only a spilt coffee and no injuries.  Oops almost forgot, just one little Connor injury; when we were downtown he was trying to copy Aiden by skipping and fell.  I remember those days of putting my hands out in front of me to catch myself only to scrape them up on the little pebbly gravel on the sidewalk.  Only a few tears were shed and we were on our way to the store to purchase a colouring book in no time at all after the "big" fall.

Rob & I watched the movie "The Tourist".  Neither of us were impressed and we were both bored watching it.  Not what I expected from one of my favourite actors, Johnny Depp.  I had the movie figured out where it was going right from the start, so there was no anticipation in watching it for me.  Better we paid $4.51 to rent and watch it in the comfort of our own home, then the drive to Owen Sound when it came out in theatres at $10.00/person and not enjoy it.

After a supper Rob seen a flock of Wild Turkeys in our back field.  There must have been at least five of them.  Wild turkeys have really populated over the past 10 years, being quite a common sight in most farm fields.  Maybe we will having nesting Wild Turkeys this Spring on our property.

There have certainly been lots of Robins, Redwing Blackbirds, Killdeers, Cowbirds, and even a couple Pigeons around.

Since Christmas I have been working on shedding those accumulated pounds that come with such things as less activity in the Winter months, the joys of the spare tire caused by menopause, and what I call the "Hibernation syndrome", when the colder weather arrives our bodies tells us to store those fat cells in case we can't forage enough food for ourselves we can then rely on those fat cells (we are mammals you know).

I have gotten to the stage in my life where I still get things done, but it just takes me longer to get there then it used to.  My body's metabolism has slowed down, in turn causing calories not to be burned up as fast as they once used to.  There is an answer to all of this, but it requires a "lifestyle" change. 

I have been trying to change my lifestyle the past few months by way of exercise and choosing to eat differently.

I was very discouraged at first, as I was eating healthier and exercising every day but not loosing any weight.  Well I had forgot to measure myself right from the get go, and hadn't realized I was loosing inches and not weight when I first started.  Muscle weighs more then fat, so all along I had been loosing inches but gaining muscles.  Now after three months the weigh has been starting to come off.  Slowly but surely.

One does not want to loose weight at too fast a pace, as it goes back on just as fast those times I fall off the healthy lifestyle wagon and fill my face with some high calorie sugar or salt fix (ha, ha, ha, old habits die hard).  When I fall off the wagon, I don't get as discouraged as much as I used to and say the "heck with it", slipping back into my old lifestyle; I get right back on the band wagon again.

I am pleased with myself after Knee surgery causing less activity last November and Christmas goodies in December, I have managed to loose 10 pounds since my knee healed & I restarted my lifestyle change again in January.

I am limited to certain exercises but have found walking to be one of the best I have done for years with results every time.  Another exercise that I found that worked for me this past Winter was a Wii Balance Board, doing step ups.  I found I could manage the low impact just fine.  After two months there was a notable difference in my abs and thighs

Food choices play a very large part in maintaining a healthy weight.  When shopping I now read labels to find out calories, fat content, sodium levels, etc......  There are so many tools to educate one self out there now on how to change our lifestyles, so I use them to further educate myself in these areas.

Encouragement plays a very "large" part in a new lifestyle change.  Find a good friend or family member that will be there to give encouragement.  My sister, Donna, has been there to encourage me, as well as inspire me, since she lost 95 lbs in one year herself ! 

My best advice for myself before I fall off the wagon is to remember how I felt with those extra ten pounds on.  That was like carrying around a ten pound bag of potatoes all day long.  Phew not easy! 

I don't deprive myself of too much in the food department, and for those who know me well do know I love food !  I just try to watch how I eat, when I eat and how much I eat, along with daily exercise.

Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds'  (can be ordered through any HMV store) and the Wii Balance Board were my best exercise tools these past few months.  Now that summer is almost here, the dogs and I will be once again hitting the pavement !

Here is a Low-Fat Muffin Recipe my sister, Donna, makes on a regular basis:

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup skim milk (add 1 tblsp vinegar to milk)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup white sugar (if making a double batch us only 3/4 cup)
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup of blueberries or cranberries (frozen or fresh) (when using cranberries, add 1 tsp. cinnamon)

Combine oatmeal and sour milk in a small bowl; let stand.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & sugar.  Stir dry ingredients well.  Add egg & applesauce to oatmeal and mix well.  Add to flour mixture.  Stir just until moist, then fold in whatever fruit you prefer.  Spray muffin tins well (Do not use paper muffin liners).  Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes.

Makes 1 Dozen Muffins with only 112 calories & 1 gr. of fat per muffin.

I also just came across a low calorie entree on the Canadian Living website I want to try out in the near future:

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/pepper_braised_chicken_thighs.php

Serves 6, and only 235 calories per serving.

My sister, Jeanne, just recently shared a ladies weight loss journey on Facebook with me.  This lady has just purchased a new book for herself by Liz Vaccariello, called the "400 Calorie Fix", 400 Ways to Eat 400 Calorie Meals.  I think this book sounds interesting enough to check it out.

On a positive note, don't forget the old saying, "Rome wasn't built in a day", and getting into a healthy lifestyle won't be either.

Now that the "Magnificent Seven" have decided to open their eyes to see the world around them, I will be sitting down at some point today to compose an ad to post on Kijiji Puppies for sale, as it will only be six more weeks and they will be all ready to go to their new "forever and ever homes".

Lots to do here today, so I must get myself dressed and get on with it, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

No comments:

Post a comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...