Saturday 28 May 2011

Pass The Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, Please.

I am so impressed with the "One & Only" little guy !  I didn't have to take him out this morning until almost 6:00 am.  I think we really wore him out before 9:00 pm bedtime last night.

"Hey Dad, what's down there?"


"Please, can't we go down there, Dad?"


Ears just a "flopping".


"Pick me, pick me!"


"Out of the way, kid".


Yes, I would certainly say he was worn out.......lol.  I am grateful to have such a fantastic babysitter.  Poor Bandit helped raising Lexus, now he is being such a `huge` help with this little guy.   Good job Bandit.

Yesterday felt like an "uneventful" day to me.  By the time I drove up to Lion's Head and back, not even to get my allergy needle as the Doctor still hadn't arrived in the office at 9:30 for my 9:00 am appointment, I couldn't wait any longer, leaving to arrive back home just after 10:00.  I tidied up a few things just before it was time to leave again for Mother's 1:00 appointment in Wiarton, to arrive back home in time for the 2:00 arrival of the PSW.

Then while I was attempting to get the potato salad put together a man was at the door to sell us an aerial picture of our property.  We declined, as it wasn't the shot of our property that I would have been pleased with for $199.00.  A wonderful idea and great price, but not at this time.

I did manage to finish putting together the potato salad, get supper on the table and clean up the kitchen before we took the "One & Only" out for his romp, while Rob did some edging with the whipper snipper at the same time. 

I find once my day is broken up with appointments and interruptions, it doesn't feel like what I started out to accomplish ever gets done.  *Sigh* I suppose then maybe those things were not meant to be done that day after all.......lol.

Our friends, Bob & Tim, are arriving sometime today !  Since they are leaving their place around 9:00 am, I would guess they should be arriving here about noonish.  They haven`t been here for at least 7 years.....wow, I am so excited. 

I am going to make a Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler for our dessert after our lunch.  I have never made it before, so what a better time then now when I have two brand new ``Guinea Pigs`at my mercy.  LOL

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Ingredients

Fruit mixture
  • 4 1/2 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1-inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks; make sure to trim away any and discard of the leaves which are poisonous; trim ends.)
  • 1 1/2 cups strawberries, stemmed and sliced
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
  • 1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
Cobbler crust
  • 2 Tbsp white sugar
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten

Method

Preheat oven to 350°F.


1 In a bowl, mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, and orange zest. Let sit to macerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
2 In a medium bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons of sugar, the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter in with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk and egg until just moistened.

3 Pour fruit into a 2-quart casserole dish. Drop the batter on the fruit. Bake in a 350°F oven for 35 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown.

Serve with whipped cream (optional).
 Serves 6.

I found this recipe online at the Simply Recipes website.  It certainly sounds simply good and easy to make to me.  Hopefully it will be that good they will want seconds, and I will be hearing, `Pass the Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, please``. 

I forgot to pickup an Orange yesterday, and maybe some Cool whip would be in order, so it looks like I will be making a run into town before I start preparing this.

I had better check out what the Wiarton Airport has to say about today`s weather:

Today:

Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers this morning and early this afternoon. High 19. UV index 5 or moderate

Tonight:

Cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers late this evening and overnight. Low 13.


*Sigh* To do laundry or not to do laundry....do I chance it.  I think not, as I have enough on my plate for the day ahead.

I suppose I should `dangle` and get what I have to do get done here, before my two best friend`s arrival  `Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard``.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...