Sunday 26 August 2012

Always Lots To Be Thankful About

I just couldn't get going this morning .... I did get up and let all four of our "pack" in, out and about, then sat myself on the couch with a cup of Java only to start having my head keep nodding off to sleep.  I dragged myself back into bed where I stayed  until 10:00 am.. !!!  Anyone can tell when this happens I am failing at a faster speed then when I began going downhill over a week ago ..

Friday I had taken hamburger out to thaw as we had no backup Spaghetti Sauce prepared in the freezer.  Between the migraines and fatigue this never got done. Regardless of how I was feeling I needed to get this done today as not to waste the hamburger.

"On my way to the Veggie Garden I couldn't help but notice this spiraling coon twisting and turning itself down this stalk.  Difficult to see but it was pretty cool looking all the same.  I think it contained baby spiders yet to hatch?"



"Today's Bounty from our Garden.  Two of our very first tomatoes, a couple of "burpless" cucumbers, a handful of Zucchini and a couple of Yellow Peppers I picked to put in the spaghetti sauce.  Some pretty nice pickings I had thought."


"This is one of those times I use the prepared and frozen mushrooms from the freezer."


"These quart jars done down into stewed tomatoes last Year.  Two quarts also went into the Spaghetti Sauce.  Nothing like having produce from your own resources to cook with.  This way you know exactly what you are getting."


"Cooked up, ready to cool and package up for our freezer.  This double batch gave us 4 - 2 cup servings."

Recipe Please?

Recipe Compliments of the Creative Cooking Cookbook & Adjustments by Cindy Masterson-Roth 
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce 
1 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped ( I omit)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste (or 2 - 5 1/2 ounce)
1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms,drained ( I use a 10 oz can or fresh)
1 1/2 cups water ( I use 1 - 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained instead)
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. basil
1 garlic clove, crushed (I use 1-2 tsp. of minced jarred garlic) 
Combine meat and onion in Dutch oven; cook until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain off excess fat.  Add remaining ingredients; cover & simmer 1 1/2 hours partially covered.  Simmer 1 hour or until sauce is thick; stir occasionally during cooking. 
Yields:  1 1/2 quarts
NOTE:   I always double this recipe to yield enough for a couple quick freezer meals to have on hand.

After I had the sauce put together I found myself back on the couch nodding off again.  I think it was around 3:00 pm when Rob got the bike out, as it had been such a hot day, for us to go for a bit of a ride to get out and cool down.  He thought we would go "around the block" through Wiarton, Sauble Beach, Sauble Falls, Oliphant and back home.

"A little Tour through Sauble Beach from the back of the Goldwing.  Once the Labour Day weekend and Thanksgiving Weekends pass Sauble Beach will mostly be all rolled up until May 24 weekend 2013."










"Heading away from the Beach towards the Sauble River here."



"Passing by the Sauble Beach Provincial Park."


"Heading towards the direction of home, past Sauble Falls we go."


Today I had only had a Peanut Butter Sandwich for breakfast, so by this time of day I was Hungry as a Bear.  What does one do when they are that hungry? they get their Hungry Bear Butt over to, where else?  the .....



The Hungry Bear professes to have the "best" Fish & Chips ..... let me tell you, I personally would  have a most difficult time disputing that fact, as this is exactly what I had ordered.


"White Fish "coated" in one of the most awesome coatings I have ever tasted.  This is going to be another one of my favourite Fish & Chips go to places from here on in."


"Once we had begin eating our lunch/supper, the Hungry Bear started getting very busy."


Rob and I were able to meet owners, Bob and Val, having a bit of "chit chat" among ourselves before they started getting very busy.  Can you believe it? they used to have the "Wooden Duck" (hope I got that right) Restaurant in New Dundee, ON many years ago.  New Dundee being Rob's Hometown.

I find the older we get, the smaller our World becomes at times.

Should you like to try out the Hungry Bear yourself, you best get your Hungry Bear Butt over there, as they are only open Seasonal from May 24 Weekend until the Labour Day Monday, Sept. 3rd.  Well worth the $7.50 for a good size portion of "coated" White Fish served up with French Fries.  I would definitely give the Hungry Bear a huge 10* plus !!!

What happened when we returned back home, after first taking care of our "pack"?  I fell asleep again sitting up on the couch .... oh man I will never get my house back to order after more then  a week of this nonsense going on.  The only part guaranteed about this, is it is not going anywhere, now is it?   Dang, dang, triple dang it all .....

Yesterday I had noticed my Cousin Paula had signed up for something called "Postcrossing".  I proceeded to check it out to see a bit on how it works.  Here is a bit from their website:


What is Postcrossing?

It's a project that allows anyone to receive postcards (real ones, not electronic) from random places in the world. Learn more.

How does it work?

  1. Request an address and a Postcard ID
  2. Mail the postcard to that address
  3. Receive a postcard from another postcrosser!
  4. Register the Postcard ID you have received
  5. Go to number 1 to receive more postcards


This has gained my interest.  I am thinking it will be "fun", so I am going to give it a "go".  Should anyone else think they might be interested as well, please do so by going to the Postcrossing website HERE.  I would love to compare notes with anyone who gives this a "try out" themselves, so please let me know at justnorthofwiarton@live.ca .

I will be calling it a night here shortly, with huge hopes of my tomorrow NOT beginning with a migraine, nor my body racked with pain, more then the usual, as the medications make you feel ill themselves, never mind adding the rest into the "mix".

I was thankful Rob took us out for a little bike ride, regardless of how exhausted I was, as it was probably good for my soul to get out for a little bit today.  I am also thankful I got the spaghetti sauce made up today, not having to had wasted good meat.  I am thankful our tomatoes are starting to ripen, with hopes there will be lots to  put down for the upcoming Winter months.  Regardless of how bad I might feel, I can still find much to be thankful for, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkboard".

3 comments:

  1. I have been postcrossing for four years, on and off when I have time. I just love it and I have made some pen pals from it too. I would be interested to find out what other people think about this project when they try it. I collect stamps so getting stamps from different countries on the post cards is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't comment on your two latest posts??? Just wanted to let you know I am reading your blog though,

    Gill

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...