Tuesday 24 February 2015

Pay It Forward

Today brought a warmer day in temperature wise, however it was a colder day with the high winds and blowing snow.  The cold winds cut through you like a razor blade.  Sharp and unforgiving.

The winds swept snow across roadways causing no visibility at times and filling in quickly with drifts in some places.  Finally about 2:30 pm the "Road Closed" barricade went up on Hwy 6 just North of Wiarton & three houses South of our place.  Further North it was heard people were leaving their vehicles where they had either gotten stuck or went off the road.  Not a good day to be stranded anywhere.

Rob left at one point today saying to me, "whatever you do don't let this wood stove go out".  Believe you, me, I sure did not let that happen, and the Aussies and I were all snug as a bug this cold Winter's day.

My day was uneventful as the day itself.  I did accomplish making the bed, doing up the dishes, keeping the home fires going, and taking the Aussies out on a regular basis, Portia more then the others.  I even managed a shower to be squeaky clean before dinner.  Rob made dinner for us.  It is absolutely wonderful to have a man who knows how to cook.

My Brother Allan is a good cook, as also is my Uncle Basil, and my youngest Son, Paul, knows how to cook (I made sure of that from when he was old enough to reach a fry pan on the stove top).  Many men in my family know how to cook, which is super nice especially when one of their woman folks are under the weather.  As long as a man can open a can of beans or fry an egg they will never go without.

I would like to thank everyone who has sent me well wishes.  They have all been very inspiring.  I also appreciate the empathy, as sympathy is something I do not look for.  Understanding, or trying to, gives much to the person in need.

I am happy I blog, as I do it for myself.  Some people can express themselves in their own ways, while I find I can express myself the best through blogging., or by paper and pen.  I suppose it gives me a sense of security knowing it can not be taken away from me, or I do not have to face someone with the fear of them not understanding, or even worse, to judge how I feel.  My feelings are my own here and nobody can take a persons feelings from anyone.

Here I can be as honest as I want to be.

Funny when I was in the shower I had all these thoughts come flooding through my brain, now everything I had wanted to write has left me.  Always the way, however maybe it wasn't meant to be.

I am one who has always believed if I receive kindness in any form or words, that I should always pay it forward.  To pay it forward does not always necessarily mean to the person who gave to you, or in the same way.  Paying it forward could be anywhere you might see a need, even if it is a kind word.  Sometimes a kind word can take a terrible situation in ones life, and turn it around.  The power of kindness goes a long way, or so I believe it to.

After Dinner we just sat down when Rob noticed someone walking up the highway with a bag.  He said nobody should have to be walking out in this weather, so he got up, went out and picked the person up and drove them home.  It happened to be one of our neighbours who live just up a concession from us.  The young man had appreciated the ride, as his ride could not go through the Road Closed barricade, and that is why he had been walking the rest of the way.  Yes I am very proud that my Crabby Cabbie Rob also does a pay it forward when he can.

There is a Workshop I signed up for last Year but was unable to attend.  I was called again as there is another one in March in Wiarton which I hope I can attend.  There is spots open for anyone who would like to register and the information is as follows, as shared to the Rotary Club of Wiarton:

Hello,  I coordinate a program that is government funded to support individuals living with Chronic conditions in the communities across Grey Bruce.   I am asking members and support clubs in the Wiarton area to share  this information with their members.  We have scheduled a free workshop in Wiarton that starts the end of March.  Below is some information I hope that you could share.  I also have promotional materials such as posters or brochures available to share.   
 
Do you  live with asthma, diabetes, COPD, high blood pressure, mental health issues or other chronic conditions?  Did you know that on average you spend only 12 hours a year with a Health Care provider helping you manage your chronic condition?  That means that you are self managing your own health 364.5 days of the year.  The South West Self Management program offers a free workshop in the community to help you learn the tips and tools on how to self manage your health well and get the most out of your life-even with a chronic condition.  Workshop participants attend 2.5 hours once weekly for 6 weeks. The workshop is led by local volunteer peer leaders and a resource book is provided at no costs as well.  Our Wiarton workshop is being offered Thursday afternoons 1-3:30  starting March 25, 2015 at the public library.  More information can be found at www.swselfmanagement.ca or by calling 1-855-463-5692. 
 
Housed within the Community Care Access Centre our program strives to help people live life to their fullest.  If you would consider sharing this information I would greatly appreciate that.  If you would like more information or there are opportunities to speak to your group, please contact me at your convenience.

Sincerely,
Andrea
 
Andrea Martin
Program Coordinator, South West Self Management Program
Strategic Planning and Integration
South West Community Care Access Centre
519-527-3078
Toll free 1-800-267-0535 ext 587

I have a copy of the brochure of what the Workshop covers,  however one sure way to find out is to sign up for it, which there is no cost to do so.

Before I sign-off for the day I would like to give "special" thanks for the "talk" from the "Dutch Uncle", and the kind note via email from London, England, and to a very special lady who goes by "LC" to her very special friends.  And to everyone else, once again, thank you all for your understanding and support.  I always know who I can count on when needed.

“None but ourselves can free our minds.” 

Now for a little Aussie love ...

Izzy's step-sister, Maggie the Chocolate Lab, has finally warmed up to her.  Photos tell all do they not ?  #cuteness #aussiepuppylove 


A new Season of The "Voice" began last night.  Rob and I both enjoy watching it together, and it is now on twice a week until they have all their picks.  It comes on at 8 pm tonight.

On that note I best get our Portia girl out before it comes on, as I hope not to miss any of it this Season, Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard.

4 comments:

  1. we didn't have snow here today? That workshop sounds interesting, wonder if there is something like that in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a day- and Izzy and her step sister look like quite a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It got very windy here to with blowing and falling snow last night but this morning it is sunny winds are calm and quite pleasant out Miggs and I were out for a few an hour or so this morning enjoying the sun a walk and playing in the yard ! The work shop sounds interesting , Izzy and Maggie look like they love being together . Yes we watch the voice to ! Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think having a blog as an outlet is good therapy - I know it has worked like that for me over the years. We can say exactly what we want and if people don't like what we write they don't need to read it! Hoping for some sunshine and warmer temps - both will feel more cheerful!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...