Saturday 15 October 2011

Thank Goodness For Laptops & Surfing

I am pleased to report I can see a little better out of my eyes this morning with a headache still at bay somewhere a little deeper within my head, however the dry cough has taken over by attempting to rattle my ribs from my chest.  Also for some reason I still have not much energy so I am not moving too fast either.

I can however truthfully say I spent almost my whole day in bed yesterday without one phone call.  My day was not totally uneventful, as I am so truly grateful to my niece, Joanne's friend, Lynn who sold me her laptop a couple of months ago for a price I could well afford.  So inbetween cat naps and bathroom breaks, I was able to check my emails and surf the web to my little heart's content propped up as comfortable as I be could in our bed.

I really appreciate the get well wishes and concern from everyone who has put forth their energy and wonderful feelings of care towards me, whether it be in an email, a comment on Facebook or a phone call .... that is what part of it is all about, is it not? caring for one another, even if it is only in the form of putting forth a kind word.  A kind word can go a very long way for some of us in our times of need, whatever our times of need may be ....

This brings me to something I just happen to stumble upon, thanks to my friend, Diane for pointing me in its direction, yesterday when I was aimlessly surfing the web ......


The list below includes 18 examples of little words that have big meaning in the most positive way.
  1. Thank you
    Because every single one of us longs to feel appreciated, words of gratitude make the heart sing. Thank you, I appreciate you, I’m grateful for you—these words are food for the soul.

  2. I forgive you
    We all screw up. Unintentionally, we may hurt our friends, children, co-workers, and others. Words of forgiveness heal the heart by lifting the crippling burden of guilt.

  3. I love you
    Quite possibly the greatest statement of all, nothing compares to, “I love you.” These words reflect the purest, most natural gift known to mankind: love. The only thing that beats saying the words I love you is showing love through action.

  4. I was wrong
    Few words have the power to ignite the flame of forgiveness like the unselfish, courageous admission of wrongdoing. When we’re hurt, we know that the past can’t be changed; yet acknowledgment of the pain that has been caused goes a long way towards improving the future.

  5. You are beautiful
    When we feel ugly inside or out, it means the world to hear that someone else still thinks we’re beautiful.

  6. It’s okay
    When we are worried, hurt, anxious or afraid, these words of reassurance help to bring about peace of mind. If you’ve ever cried on the shoulder of a friend, you know how good it feels to have someone remind you that everything is going to be just fine.

  7. I understand
    It’s human nature to try to relate to others, so nothing is more frustrating than feeling misunderstood. In times when we feel alone, misjudged or isolated in our beliefs; an understanding friend is much appreciated. We don’t necessarily need others to agree, but we long for someone who says, “I get it. I understand. I see your point.”

  8. You’re safe
    When we feel vulnerable and afraid, these words have the power to restore the sense of security and protection that we crave. Fear may disease the mind, but words of safety are a part of the antidote.

  9. I admire you
    Having someone look up to you, think highly of you, or aspire to follow in your footsteps is motivating beyond belief. Words of admiration are empowering, as they impart a sense of importance by reminding us that we’re making an impact.

  10. I support you
    When making a tough decision, which may or may not be the best, it means the world to know that someone is on your side no matter what. Statements like, “I’ll be there” and “I support you” encourage us to move forward with less fear of judgment.

  11. You can do it
    When you’re contemplating giving up or battling feelings of self-doubt, encouraging words make all the difference in the world. There’s something about knowing that someone else has faith in you that revitalizes the faith you should have in yourself.

  12. You’re the one
    These words say I choose you, you are it for me, you are special. Few things top the feeling that comes with knowing that you stand out in an exceptional way to someone.

  13. It’s all about you
    Most days in life aren’t all about self, but we never forget the days that are. On occasions like birthdays, graduations and weddings; we thrive in the knowledge that it’s our own special day. It feels great to have unselfish friends who allow your special days to be absolutely 100% about you.

  14. I’m here for you
    If you’ve ever needed a shoulder to cry on, you know the power of these words. They remind us that we are not alone, that someone is there to help us through pain, loss, and all of life’s struggles. Even those who appear to have life under control need someone dependable in their corner.

  15. Great job
    Great job. Congratulations. Job well done. Whether or not we admit it, most of us delight in others’ recognition of our efforts. Words of praise and recognition inspire us to do more, to work harder and to feel a sense of pride.

  16. I miss you We can’t always be present with those that we love, yet it means so much to know that we are missed during our absence. This is a way of saying, I love your company and I can’t wait until we’re together again.

  17. You matter
    We all want to feel that we are important to someone or something other than ourselves. To hear that you are valued by another person, particularly at times when you feel useless or insignificant, is extra special.

  18. I’m sorry
    When the heart aches, a sincere apology sets the stage for forgiveness and healing. I’m sorry, please forgive me, I apologize—these are all statements that show recognition of the damage caused and a desire to ease the pain.

I hope you’ve enjoyed these little words with big meaning. As you continue with your day, take care to speak wisely and to use those words that you’d love to have spoken in return. Finally, remember something - people don't know how you feel unless you say it; don't assume they do!



I think I will be printing off this list so I can refer to it from time to time, if not on a daily basis, as I think it is something that doesn't seem like much sometimes to us, but something that can make a very big difference for some of us in our own lives some days .....


I would like to thank the Author, as I do not take credit for something I have not put forth myself, or unintentionally anyhow, however in my state of lull yesterday, I can honestly not remember the site I copied it from.  Who should ever read this and be the composer of same, please know I give great thanks to you for putting this out there to share with us all, as it was worded with so much truth and honesty, and has reminded me, for one, on how I should try to give more towards others in this respect.


All the "I Hope You Feel Betters" I have received made me feel so much better, if not in health, most certainly in "spirit", so thank you to all those who were able to share their care and understanding.


I stuck my nose out of our back patio door after I had gotten up at 7:30 a.m., I am still shocked I was in bed until that time, only to shut it as fast as I could as it is "frigging" freezing out there this morning !!!  Surely to goodness I am hoping there is no "snow" in the forecast, as that is what it felt like to me !!!  I am going to be checking this out right now ..... oh no, a "Wind Warning" !!!




That is what is going on and what will be going on for the rest of the day, well I hope our hatches are battened down and we have a rope tied to the side of the house should we have to venture out .... lol.  I am thinking I am not going anywhere again today, so hopefully I will stay "snug as a bug" inside while it blows itself out.

I have some leeks picked and cleaned that are just crying within the confines of our refrigerator saying, "use us, use us, use us", so since Rob and I both love "Potato Leek Soup", I think I will try to muster up enough energy to put some together for us.  Here is the recipe I am going to use:

Best Ever Potato Leek Soup


Recipe Compliments of Great American Recipes

For 4 servings you will need:

3 cups of peeled sliced potatoes
2 cups of sliced leeks (only use the white part and little of the green)
1 1/4 quarts of chicken broth
2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Dash freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp. chopped parsley
1 cup half and half cream
Grated Cheddar Cheese, optional
Paprika, optional

Preparation:

1)  In a large saucepan or kettle, heat the chicken broth;
2)  Add potatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Cook for 10 minutes;
3)  Add leeks.  Bring to a boil.  Add thyme;
4)  Continue cooking over medium heat for 20 minutes or until potatoes and leeks are tender;
5)  Add salt, pepper and chopped parsley.  Heat.  Whisk or puree in blender or food processor;
6)  Add half and half cream and stir to combine;
7)  Serve in individual soup bowls, sprinkled with Cheddar Cheese and paprika, if desired.


I can taste it already ...... and maybe I can muster up a little more energy to make a Cheddar Beer Bread recipe up to go along with it?  Lol, stay tuned for a full report tomorrow on how that works out for me ....

Okay, I am really thinking I need something warm going down my throat, so I will maybe bring out the "big" guns today with taking the honey out from it's spot in the cupboard to have in some black tea, as the Green Tea hadn't agreed with my tummy.


At the present moment though, I think I really really want to try just "one" cup of Java before I venture any further into my day ahead, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling a little better. Love the words off wisdom today as they are so true. Me have had a hard day today considering it was supposed to be my weekend of. I worked nine hours and got 7 tomorrow. Oh Well got to make money while you can in my business. take Care , Hope you all better soon and back to your NORMAL self. xoxo HW

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you are feeling better. #1 on the list is the one I love to hear and use.

    The weather has been horrible hasn't it?

    Gill

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...