Monday 22 August 2011

A Major Tragedy So Close To Home !

First off I would like to send prayers out to all the residents of Goderich and surrounding area who were affected by the Tornado that swept through their town yesterday afternoon.  I was pleased to hear family members that live close by to that area were spared the trauma of its effects.

We hear of these tragedies happening in other Ontario towns and villages, but never this close to home.  When we were living in Kitchener-Waterloo there had been tornadoes in both Woodstock and Guelph areas, so I am blessed my family and its members have been spared such a tragedy. 

Other then lots and lots more rain here yesterday, it was a pretty "quiet" day on the farm.  I did start another load of laundry in hopes it would stop, however I had to "breakdown" and used the clothes dryer for, I am sure, the third time this year.  When there was a "break" in the rain, I did manage to get the clothes off the line I had hung out yesterday, and put them through another rinse cycle before I dried them.

I did make my bed, try a recipe I hadn't made before, and made us supper, saved some recipes to Cindy's Recipe Exchange on Facebook, and did some general research, through my computer, on what services are available with volunteers in and around Gander, Newfoundland (unfortunately most are in and around St. John's, but that won't stop me from making phone calls with inquiries today).

I am quite determined to find more resources available for my sister, Jeanne, and brother-in-law, Cecil, then what I am hearing are available through recent telephone conversations.  Last night, Cecil's niece, wished me that I had better luck then what she has had, even if I don't, I feel I am contributing somehow by researching if there is.  If I have learned nothing at all by having my Mother reside with us, I have learned you have to search and dig to see what is available out there, as information is not always readily dropped into our laps.

I was fortunate that my Aunt happened upon the notice placed in her Church advertising "A Day Away For The Caregiver" put on by the Grey-Bruce VON.  After I attended this day, I came away with an abundance of resources which are available  and can now pass this information on to others.  I must, once again, thank the VON for being the root of  knowledge by making all these resources available.

Since I am going to seemingly have an abundance of Zucchini, I have being searching and finding new recipes to try.  I came upon a really neat blog in my search, "Closet Cooking", which belongs to a Kevin who named his blog after his very tiny kitchen, as like "cooking in the space of a closet"...lol.  This is where I found the Zucchini Blueberry Loaf recipe that I made yesterday, and I must say it is the "bestever" that I have had !  Thanks "Closet Cook" !

Blueberry Zucchini Bread(makes 8+ servings)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups zucchini (grated, squeezed and drained)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup pecans (chopped)

Directions:
1. Mix the zucchini, sugar, oil, yogurt and egg in a bowl.
2. Mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
4. Mix in the blueberries and pecans.
5. Pour the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
6. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 50-70 minutes.
When I started making this I found I had no Yogurt in the fridge and was not about to go downtown to purchase any, so I used the sour cream instead, which worked out just beautifully.  I will have to try it with Yogurt the next time, where I will make two loaves to freeze now I know how good it is.

BC Blueberries are now out in the grocery stores, so this and the amount of zucchini I have inspired me to go searching for a recipe in the first place.  What a "great" combination !

"It was so good, I had quite the time to restrain myself from having more then the 2 slices I already had.  Still a little warm with butter......simply delish !"



This recipe will be a definite keeper in my ever growing "collection".

Just this morning I came across a posting about "Is Slow-Cooker Food Safe to Eat?  The facts about bacteria growth and slow-cooked meals."  This is a question I have heard many times in past years, so here is the answer, compliments of the Real Simple website:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/is-slow-cooker-food-safe-to-eat-10000000832602/index.html

Great article to read.

Speaking of food, I received an email from Bob last night, telling me he is thinking Tim preferred my being there looking after him then himself.....um, do you think that had anything to do with my "cooking"?  What a "wonderful" way to be complimented; I was flattered.

Okay on to today's weather, now that my laundry is already done it will probably be another nice day....

Today:

Mainly sunny. Increasing cloudiness late this afternoon then 30 percent chance of showers. Wind becoming northwest 20 km/h late this morning. High 20. UV index 7 or high.

Tonight:

Mainly cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers this evening. Clearing near midnight. Low 14.


...still a threat of rain, what more is there to say?

I am plagued with awaking with yet another headache.  With all this science out there, you would think they could insert a "headache blocker" somewhere in the brain.  I sure would be one of the first in line to receive one, but then again maybe not, since only the rich and famous would be able to afford one....ha,ha,ha....poor me, I am neither !

That was mostly my day all in a nutshell, so I am off to start a new day, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...