Monday 11 July 2011

That Was A Shirt Sticking Muggy Day !

Phew it is still warm and muggy in the house, or maybe it is just me after drinking a "hot" coffee, lol.  We are finally get a taste of summer.  As a typical "true" Canadian here I go speaking of and complaining about the "weather".

At least after last night's supper, there was a breeze out at the front of the house, and we have ceiling fans in each of the rooms to keep the air circulating.  Bandit and Lexus really do have it made by being in the basement, as it is the coolest place of all.......those "lucky" dogs !

It was too muggy to even breath too much yesterday, so Rob and I took to the road on the back of the '84 Honda Goldwing letting the breeze flow through our helmets, lol.  Our intention was to go North of the Checkerboard to the Garden Centre located just above Ferndale.  We got there only to find out it is now closed on Sundays, so onward we scooted over to Lion's Head where we came upon a "huge" garage sale at the arena being put on by the Hospital Auxiliary.  I was very very good with only making a purchase of a couple books for my sister, Donna and myself, as well as some cutlery.  Good heavy cutlery I might add, not the cheap tinny stuff they sell in the stores now a days.

After we took leave from Lion's Head, we met up with a friend over at Sauble Beach.  Let me tell you how packed was that beach, and "dang" not a picture taken!  What was I thinking?  Oh I know, the heat had gotten to me, and I wasn't thinking !!!  For those who aren't familiar with the second longest fresh water beach in the World, the following link will take you right there:

http://www.thebrucepeninsula.com/sights.html

....and to think I am only twenty minutes away from it all.  Personally I prefer the sandy beaches of my Hometown of Southampton, only 45 minutes away.

Going through downtown Wiarton at some point in our out and about ride, Rob just had to, and I really mean "had" to make a stop.

"I really don't think I need to make any comments as the pictures say it all.``





``....and of course, he had to buy a ticket on this beauty.  What boy doesn`t want a Harley !``



That was pretty much our whole day in a nutshell, other then posting a couple of recipes on Cindy`s Recipe Exchange on Facebook. 

This recipe is one I think will be one of the items I will make to take along to my annual Masterson Family Reunion this August.  I had came across this recipe in a Catelli Cookbook I had obtained at the garage sale.


Preparation: 35 minutes Chill: 2 hours or overnight

1 pkg. (500 g) Catelli Ready Cut Macaroni
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) zesty Italian salad dressing
2 cups (500 ml) small broccoli flowerets
2 cups (500 ml) small cauliflowerets
2 cups (500 ml) sliced fresh mushrooms
2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 red or yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
20 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) cubed cooked ham or pepperoni (optional)
1 cup (250 ml) diced cheddar or mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup (175 ml) sliced green onions


Cook macaroni according to package directions. In a large bowl, toss hot macaroni with dressing. Add remaining ingredients; toss to mix. Cover; chill 2 hours or overnight. Toss gently before serving.

Makes about 24 servings (24 cups / 6 L ).

NOTE: For fewer servings, reduce all ingredients by half.
The next recipe I want to actually try out for today`s supper is for some stuffer mushrooms I had purchased the other day.


Ingredients:

8 to 10 medium mushroom, firm, closed caps
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons minced onion or green onion
1/4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soft bread crumbs (see below)
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons water
salt & pepper to taste.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°. Wash mushrooms quickly under running water; drain on paper towels. Pull stems from mushrooms and chop finely. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat; add chopped mushroom stems and onion. Saute until tender. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, soft bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Sprinkle salt over mushroom caps and fill with sauteed mixture, mounding over the top. At this point, you may cover and refrigerate these mushrooms for up to 24 hours. Before serving, put 2 tablespoons of water in a shallow dish and arrange stuffed mushrooms in dish. Bake for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.


Makes 8 to 10 appetizers.

Soft bread crumbs: Put bread on cutting board and use fork tines to tear off crumbs, or use food processor to make finer crumbs. One slice bread makes about 1/2 cup lightly packed crumbs.

NOTE:  My friend, Sheree, who is a member of the recipe exchange has made stuffed mushroom before, and thankfully for me, left  a very informative post on the recipe exchange.

Sheree`s Post:
Hey Cindy......I have made these stuffed mushrooms before except never put water in the baking dish....as the sprinkle of salt draws the liquid out of the mushrooms when you bake them. I found that baking the mushrooms for about 10 min.......before you stuff them helps....as you can dump the water out of the caps.....then stuff them and put them back in the oven! As I said.....the salt draws the liquid out of the caps as they cook and if you don't drain off the hot liquid...when you bite into them the hot liquid can squirt out and might burn your mouth! They are delish!

This is the nice thing I look forward to with having a recipe exchange; you are getting input and experiences from people that are trying a recipe, have tried a recipe, likes and dislikes of a recipe, or different methods.  It`s a learning experience for all of us, and there is nothing better then having family and friends being a part of it.

Wow, I am sure happy I got this post before I dove right in to make them for my very first time, let me tell the World....LOL.  Thanks Sheree, I am sure we will enjoy these right along with that BBQ`d T-Bone Steak Rob is going to be doing tonight for us !

Oops, how could I almost forget the Wiarton Airport`s forecast for the day, before I almost signed off....must be the mugginess.

 
Today:

Increasing cloudiness. 60 percent chance of showers or thunderstorms this afternoon. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h late this afternoon. High 30. UV index 6 or high.

Tonight:

Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers or thunderstorms. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low 17.

Wow 60 percent thunderstorms this afternoon and tonight.  I suppose my computer will be getting shutdown, right quick, should I see any signs of that happening.

Okay heat or no heat, I really have things to get done here today, ``Just North of Wiarton and South of the Checkerboard.``

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...