Saturday 30 July 2011

My Mother, Myself, and Our Lives For Now....

First off the bat I certainly must recognize that it is my oldest sister, Jeanne"s, birthday today, however I will not divulge her age, or she just might fly up here from their retirement home in Newfoundland on her  new and improved 747 broom, and whip my butt.....lol.

Happy Birthday, dear sister !!!!   I just called her and sang Happy Birthday, off key I am sure....not too early down there, since they are a hour and a half ahead of us (sure hope our Uncle Basil knows that now????).  I certainly would post a picture of her, but she wouldn't email me one to do so, and I don't have any recent ones of her.  I will get that girl with my trusty little camera when we see each other next that will be a sure thing......  Have a "wonderful" day sister Jeanne !!!! 

I headed North of the Checkerboard yesterday morning for my usual trip to the Doc.  Afterwards I drove into Lion's Head where something caught my eye right away.

"How could this not be an eye catcher, parked right along Main Street, and so colourful!"




"What a creative way to advertise yesterday and today's "Quilt Show"."




I am very fortunate to have had a quilt made for me by my sister, Jeanne, which I so cherish, as well as one made by Mother Roth and my sister-in-law, Shirley, who have both passed, and given to me by my sister-in-law, Delores, which I really appreciated so much.  This has brought to my mind, that I should be getting the one out made by Mother Roth and Shirley and displaying their talent and its loveliness on my spareroom's bed.  I think I will put that on my To Do List.

My reason to drive into Lion's Head was so I could go visit my Mother at the Golden Dawn Senor Citizen's Home there.

My Mother moved from our home on the 14th of June, and until now I have not been ready to even think about mentioning this fact, as it was a very difficult transition for all concerned.  It is a part of life that I find, now that I have experienced it myself, was as difficult as sending my own child out into the World on his own.  I can not explain how sorrowful my emotions were on that day and for many days that followed.  Even now, when I thought I was ready to be open about this, my stomach wrenches and tears come to my eyes...not an easy thing to do or to accept sometimes.

It brings to mind a quote my cousin, Paula, sent me when I was going through these changes in my life where I never thought the tears would never subside.

"Tears are a river that takes you somewhere... Tears lift your boat off the rocks, off dry ground, carrying it downriver to someplace new, someplace better"

 -Clarissa Pinkola Estes-

You know those tears have brought me to somewhere better, and are still taking me places.  As difficult as I, myself, found it was for us, as a family unit, to place our Mother into a Nursing Home, it has lifted a great worry from my mind that she has care around the clock, a regular schedule and excellent staff looking after her needs.

This visit yesterday, was my very first visit that I went on my own, and I was quite nervous about doing so.  Knowing how my Mother was quite comfortable here in our home, and I wasn't sure how she was going to react to seeing me on my own with her being placed at Golden Dawn.....I suppose I was fearful that she would be angry with me and place the blame on me. 

Despite my fears, it turned out to be a very pleasant visit, with me chatting away as I fixed a few things in and around her room for her.  We even had a few laughs about other members of our family, not to mention any siblings names as to offend them.....LOL.  When it was time for me to leave, I still found it so difficult not to breakdown, as I walked away leaving my Mother behind.  I hope over time it will get better for her being there, and easier for me to walk away with tears carrying me to dryer grounds and better places.  I can say no more, and it is done.

My Crabby Cabbie worked into the wee hours of the morning, not arriving home until 3:30 a.m., so needless to say, I will be trying to be quiet to let him sleep as long as he can. 

I had planned on trying out a new recipe for last night's supper, but his phone didn't stop ringing so there hadn't been time to cook and serve it.  Poor Rob got a quick Cheese & Veggie Omelette instead of  Greek Chicken with Tzatziki Sauce, made with Kraft's Philidelphia Cream Cheese new "Dill"  cream cheese:  The sauce had been made and the chicken is still marinading, so it is on the menu for tonight's supper.

Greek Chicken with Tzatziki Sauce

What You Need


1/2 cup (1/2 of 250-g tub) Philadelphia Dill Cream Cheese Product
6 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 green onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped English cucumbers


Make It


WHISK first 5 ingredients until well blended. Pour half over chicken in medium bowl; stir to evenly coat. Stir cucumbers into remaining sauce. Refrigerate both 20 min.
HEAT barbecue to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken onto 8 skewers. Grill 8 to 10 min. or until done, turning occasionally.
SERVE with tzatziki sauce.

kraft kitchens tips

Serving Suggestion
Serve with hot cooked whole grain and your favourite vegetables.

Note
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water 30 min. before threading chicken pieces onto them. Then, wrap ends of skewers with foil before adding to barbecue to prevent them from burning as the chicken cooks

I love chicken, cream cheese, dill and cucumbers, so I am definite this recipe will really be to my liking.  Stay tuned for tomorrow's blog, as I am sure there will be pictures and comments on likes and dislikes from the Crabby Cabbie and myself.

It is a beautiful morning out there.  I sure hope the humidity is gone, as it was very warm when Bandit had his turn going for a walk with me last night.


"Okay already you have taken my picture a million of times already, can we not just get going?"



LOL, we got going right after the picture, much to Bandit's delight.  Downtown bound we headed.

"The holiday traffic was bumper to bumper heading North from the south side of Wiarton's downtown.  This was about 6:30 p.m.."




Other then being a little warm outside, we enjoyed some of the sights on our walk out and about town.


"This Yucca plant was quite stately looking."





"This elf perched out front of this house's front, almost looks like he is waiting for company to arrive....".




"I could not resist taking a picture of this Clematis as it's colour is so striking."



Bandit enjoyed our evening walk, despite the heat, to go back home to where we enjoyed a nice cool breeze out at the side of the house where he had a good romp with Lexus.

The remainder of the evening was quiet with Bandit and Lexus getting settled in for the night by 9:00 p.m., and myself watching a little TV until I drifted off, awaking a couple of times until Rob arrived home. 

All in all, it was a good day.

Okay I heard the humidity was to leave us today, best be going to check that out right promptly.


Today:


Sunny. Fog patches dissipating early this morning. High 27. UV index 9 or very high.

Tonight:


Clear. Becoming partly cloudy after midnight. Fog patches overnight. Low 16.



The high of 27 looks inviting, and will be more so with no humidity.  Time will tell.

*Sigh* what to do with my day ahead?  I already have a load of wash in, with a second load waiting for the first to finish....and I did notice quite a few "Yard/Garage Sales" adverstised for today.  Darn where is my niece, Joanne, when I need someone to go Garage Sailing with????

Always lots to get done, but I think if I get two loads of laundry done, clean the bathroom, do some general tidying up, I think I will give myself permission to have the rest of the day off to do whatever I please, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...