Tuesday 26 July 2011

Raspberry Season Is Upon Us !

I absolutely love Summer, even though Fall is my favorite season, as all the local vegetables and fruits are available throughout the whole Summer Season. 

I have been certainly getting my fill of cherries the past couple of days; I could eat them by the bag.

Raspberries have started ripening on my bushes, so I have even been having a few of them, here and there.  Since my raspberry canes are so young, I never get enough all at once to make anything with, but let me tell you I try to get some for myself before Bandit and Lexus get to them first !

I absolutely can't wait for the Freestone Peaches to arrive.....um mm, fresh peach pie right out of the oven.

Since raspberries are coming around so quickly, and actually at a peak in some Ontario areas, I have been on a raspberry recipe search spree.  Here is a couple links I found that hold some, which I think there to be, very interesting raspberry recipes for desserts:

First of all this link provides some very useful facts on raspberries, as I didn't know 1/2 pint equalled 1 1/3 cups, and a couple of recipes:

http://www.spruce.ca/food/raspberry_season.htm

Here is the link to Just Berry Recipes, who boasts 724 berry recipes:

http://www.justberryrecipes.com/inxras.html

I am sure out of 724 recipes there has to be one good recipe for raspberries in there to try out.

It was a slow start for me yesterday morning, but I finally managed to get my act together, with almost a relapse of total fatigue by the afternoon.  I slept a bit better last night, so hopefully that will be a bonus for my day ahead.

Once I got going, I managed to get the towels and area rugs downstairs to the washing machine, the dishwasher unloaded, our bed made, and have a shower.


"The removal of boats, fish, fishing gear and sharks was most necessary before I even thought about having a shower....."




Ha,ha,ha....the aftermath of Aiden, Number One Rip Tail Snorter being here.  All gear removed and placed into the sink to air dry before putting away, so it will all be in good condition for the next fishing excursion.

Once all cleaned up, I decided it was cool enough outside with a lovely breeze not only to hang out the load of laundry I had done, but also to take advantage and weed between the plants in the vegetable garden, since Rob had newly tilled it the other day.  Much to my delight, Rob was able to help me, as it would have been a few days before I got through it at the rate of a row or two per day.  He even raked out the weeds from the rows after we had picked them out !!!  What a guy, let me tell you, always surprising me in some way or another.....lol.

"Finally it is starting to look like a vegetable garden !"



There are actually zucchini coming on the plants now.  I love grilled zucchini !  The lettuce is to be picked, so I am sure that will be on the menu for tonight's supper.

After lunch I did up the dishes along with washing up the two planters I got on the roadside Sunday.


"I think they are a "perfect" fit for what I wanted them for."



Then I got to putting together the vase and fishes my niece, Joanne, had given me.  Funny thing is that years ago when I was at her place I had so admired the way she had arranged her one plant, and here I am now doing the same thing.....life is just too funny sometimes.

"The new dining room table arrangement complete."




"Honest, there are fishes in there, just take a look and see."



LOL, I can imagine the reaction this is going to get the next time the Rip Tail Snorters come to visit Grandma and Poppa.

I must not leave Rob out, as he was also so pleased with his find, on Sunday, of the hub caps.  I must admit, I was pleased too as it saved us $50.00 at the Canadian Tire Store, where he had just priced them out that same Sunday morning.

"....and presenting the shiny new, and no cost to us, hub caps !"



I suppose I should say hub cap, since they are all installed, I was not able to take a picture of all four.

Since I was so tired yesterday I was certainly happy that I had placed two turkey thighs into the slow cooker, along with some chicken broth (dang forgot I had the turkey stock in the freezer, just thought of it now) and a package of Club House Onion Gravy Mix.  I had found this method online:

Slow-Cooked Turkey Dinner
6 small red potatoes (about 2-1/2 inches in diameter) unpeeled, and quartered
2 cups sliced carrots
1-1/2 lbs turkey thighs, skinned
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp dry onion soup mix
1/3 cup chicken broth (or water)
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Place potatoes and carrots in 3-1/2 quart or 4-quart crock-pot/slow cooker. Place turkey thighs over vegetables.

In medium bowl, combine flour and remaining ingredients; blend well. Pour over turkey. Cover; cook on High for 30 minutes.

Reduce setting to Low; cook at least 7 hours or until turkey is fork tender, its juices run clear and vegetables are tender


Since I had broccoli to be steamed and leftover potato salad from the day before, I didn't need to do the vegetables along with the turkey.  Rob really enjoyed the gravy that derived from it.  This will be a definite favorite of mine for any future cooking of turkey pieces.

After supper, I couldn't believe I dragged my and Lexus's sorry butts down to Mallory beach for a 2 Km walk.  We had an enjoyable walk until the mosquitos started coming out in full force at around the 8:00 p.m. hour.  Still it was good for the both of us; hopefully Bandit and I can get out after supper tonight.  They do have to take turns, you know.  Not sure why, but Rob never seems to want his turn when I go walking???  LOL, what's up with that?

I was happy to get out and walking even though it was slow going, it was a start.  Yeah !!!  Maybe I now get going on my old routine of a daily walk or two again !

Much to my delight when I got up this morning, we had apparently a bit more then just a "kiss" of rain, since there were puddles in our driveway.

"Everything is so nice and fresh in the morning after it has rained throughout the night."



Puddles, can you imagine?  The perfect summer day, followed by a gentle steady rainfall through the night and kissed by the sun, once again, the following the morning.....I love being dreamy sometimes.

Let me take a look see at what the weatherman has in store for the day ahead.


Today:

A few showers ending early this morning then a mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of showers. Clearing this afternoon. Risk of a thunderstorm early this morning. Wind becoming northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40 this morning. High 24. UV index 8 or very high.

Tonight:

Clear. Low 15.


It is looking like is is going to be another beautiful summer day.

I have no plans for my day ahead, other then staying home to try and get caught up with regular stuff, as it had all been left to the sidelines when Aiden was visiting last week.  Which it should be, as housework can come in second when there is quality time is to be had with our grandchildren and/or children.  I am happy with myself that I am able to let go and enjoy more at times.

Wow, I am ahead of my game this morning.  It is amazing what more then a couple of hours sleep can do for a person.  Signing off, but not running this morning, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...