Sunday 24 July 2011

Pies and More Summer Daze ....

Another beautiful hot summer day it was yesterday.  Aiden and I started out by going downtown to get some needed ingredients I was missing to make a raspberry pie.  It was quite enjoyable the two of us spending time in the air conditioning of our local grocery store together.

One of the three ingredients I needed was Pecan pieces.  Well let me tell you, that did not happen at $4.69 for 150 grams !!!  That is just insanity !  I improvised and used Almond slivers that I had in the freezer, since I could not put my finger on where I had put the Walnut pieces.  Nuts are nuts, are they not; and I am sure since I am a little nuts myself at times, I should know !  LOL.

Once back home I got right to the task at hand, after first hanging out a load of laundry on the line, of making a Raspberry Pie recipe I had never tried before.

Raspberry Sour Cream Pie  (Recipe From: Lakeview Farms)
Baked 9" pie or tart shell lightly brown ( 15 to 20 minutes at 400ºF)  - I did not do this part.

For Filling:

1 cup reduced fat sour cream
¾ cup granulated sugar
2½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2½ half pints raspberries


For Topping:

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup (½ stick)unsalted
butter, well chilled and cut into small chunks
1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

To Prepare Filling

Combine sour cream, sugar, flour, almond extract salt and egg in a large
mixing bowl. Whisk until batter is smooth. Fold in raspberries. Spoon into
pastry shell; smooth top with a spatula. Bake until filling is just set (about
25 minutes at 400ºF). Be sure to shield the edges of the pie crust with
aluminum foil so that the crust does not over brown.

To Prepare Topping:

Using fingertips, mix flour and butter in a medium bowl until small clumps
form. Mix in pecans and sugar. Sprinkle topping over pie. Bake until topping
browns lightly (about 12 minutes). If necessary, remove aluminum foil from
crust edges if crust browns too slowly.

Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate (loosely covered) for at least 1
hour prior to serving.

I am pretty sure I have mentioned before, Rob does not care for raspberries, but they are one of my most favorite, so to save myself any grief further into the day I had to make a compromise.


His and Hers Pies.....Raspberry or Lemon Meringue, if you please.




I must was not the easiest task I had did this past week with a almost seven year old underfoot asking a question every two minutes, as when I went to make the meringue, I then realized I had no egg whites to do so with, as two whole eggs had gone into the pie filling !!!  Needless to say, Aiden got an scrambled egg yolk on bagel for his lunch, and Poppa got meringue on his Lemon pie.  Compromise you say.......I am sure I do that on a scheduled basis around this house.  LOL.

After lunch and getting everything cleaned up we all headed out into the Great Outdoors to the poolside.


Apparently some deliberation was going on at poolside.





Bandit what do you think Poppa is up to....hope it does not include us .






Come here, Lexus, good girl come and see Poppa.....



What is he doing with me.....save me, Bandit, save me....I do not care to be in this pool one bit.





Oh this is not too bad at all.  I actually am feeling much much cooler.  Thanks guys.





Ha,ha,ha.....Lexus and her first time in the pool.  Bandit was cooled off right after she was done.  The only difference between them after it was all said and done, was Lexus ran around happy, and Bandit went straight to the dusty driveway and did a back roll.....dirty dog !

Despite the heat wave we have been having, I am pleased some of my flowers are still doing well.


The Beebalm has began to bloom.  I absolutely love its Raspberry colour.





Hydrangeas are showing off their stuff.






The piece of Wedding Clematis I planted last year has taken off quite well.






Almost ready to begin its lacey bloom.





Amazing how this variegated Hosta is withstanding all this heat. 





Remember this incident a few weeks ago on the July 1st, Canada weekend.....when we had this little girl come visit us.


My doggie niece, Miss Pixi, taking the liberty of using my flowerbed as a cool down spot for herself.




Well, her Mom really felt bad about her taking that liberty with my flower beds, and decided to drive all the way up here to bring a note of Thanks from Miss Pixi for her indiscretions, oh and a little gift for the flowerbed in question.


Apology accepted Miss Pixi, as I think this froggy will go quite nicely in and amongst the plants in the flowerbed in question.





 
Aw, she even signed it with love....okay you can come back to visit another time, Miss Pixi.

 


Ha,ha,ha....and after some tea and pie, Pixies Mom and her friend, Lynn, went on their way back home after there once a year day away road trip.  How nice was it for them to stop in to see us.  I suppose Pixies Mom was feeling so bad about the garden incident, she just had to deliver gift and card in person......


There they go, down the road and home back into the paws of Miss Pixi girl I am sure.  LOL.




That was certainly one full day packed with PUNCH, excitment and surprises.  I really enjoyed the day, and certainly did not hear any complaints from anyone else in the household.

The weatherman has been threatening rain and thunderstorms all week, I suppose I should see what he has to say about the day ahead.

Today:

Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers this afternoon. Risk of a thunderstorm late this afternoon. High 27. UV index 6 or high.

Tonight:

Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers and risk of a thunderstorm. Low 18.


Yes there it is again, 30 percent showers and risk of thunderstorms.  I suppose we will just have to wait and see as the day unfolds itself.

Ahhh, Rob went downtown and brought us home a Tim Hortons extra large coffee for a Sunday morning treat.  *Sigh*  I think I will go sit in my lazy boy chair and enjoy it before I get going further into my day, Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't bring me a coffee though? Mine's a medium one cream, one milk and no sugar please!!

    Those pies look so good,

    Gill

    Yes, I can now leave a comment!!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...