Why would we be heading North of the Checkerboard early on a Friday morning? That would be because Explore the Bruce was holding a "Catch Up Party" for all interested parties, mostly consisting of Small Business Owners, to attend.
Who is Explore the Bruce? Well they are an amazing Bruce County organization who promotes our lovely County of Bruce and all things "tourism" in the county to make us attractable to the whole World, is who they are, . Since I am a Bruce County gal through and through, I personally think Bruce County is already pretty attractive and amazing, however Explore the Bruce points out each and every little wonderful detail about what our County has to offer. I might add, personally I think the Explore the Bruce Team does a wonderful job doing this.
Who would be the Explore the Bruce Team? This would be Kim Clarke, Tourism Manager, Jess McGarry and Lisa Greig, Information Officers, and Vicki Ly, Project Coordinator. At present there is a position waiting to be filled for Web Design & Content. Again my personal opinion on meeting and speaking with each of the Team is that they are well learned in what they represent, and all very approachable and pleasant.
I can not express enough how much Explore the Bruce contributes to Bruce County Tourism and each and every community within the County.
It was a beautiful morning for the drive up to Tobermory. Koreen and I were unsure as to where the meeting was being held, as neither of us two busy gals looked at the agenda for the location. Koreen had said there was no worry as we would be sure to spot the Explore the Bruce truck without a problem.
The whole morning had been extremely interesting with lots of upcoming promotions in specific areas being put in place by the Explore the Bruce Team in 2013.
The Explore the Bruce Goal is to encourage visitors to stay longer, which in turn will increase spending with our locals within Bruce County.
Just a few points I picked up on what will be "featured" this Year:
Planning & Development
- Kiosks strategically placed along the Saugeen River letting water sport enthusiasts know what is beyond that point in the way of local attractions, eateries, etc;
- Lake Huron Top Beaches will be featured. Seven Beaches and towns will be featured in Videos;
- A new Fall Campaign will be put into place;
- Year Round Activities will be "highlighted", ie Winter Camping/Hiking;
- Farm Tour: A two day tour in June;
- Local Food Tour: Reconnecting people with Heritage Rural Country Roots;
- Trail Brochures: New signage denoting parking, washrooms, maps, best access points to the Bruce Trail;
- Promotion of Georgian Bay as an International Icon
FACT: Winter Camping at MacGregor Point's Yurts are booked every weekend, with Seasonal Camping Available all year round.
2013 Adventure Passport
- a new Wiarton Willie Walkabout has been added as one of the 12 Passport Stops
- June 8th, Adventure Passport Launch Party with EVERYONE invited.
FACT: 6,865 people participated in the 2012 Adventure Passport
Spruce the Bruce Program:
- promotes Downtown Development and Community Improvements with a 50% Funding Dollar for Dollar match
- learn more about this program by *clicking* HERE.
How Local Business Can Help?
- certify your staff on what is happening in your local of Bruce County
There had also been two representatives there for RT07 speaking on Funding and Grants available to Small Businesses in all areas from advertising to how to put themselves on the Bruce County map within their community. For further information on this, please contact the Explore the Bruce offices at 1-800-268-3838, and they will direct you to the source for these.
With Rob now having his own Small Business, The "Crabby Cabbie", I found this Explore the Bruce Catch Up Party to be very beneficial in future vision of tourism within our Communities, and gave more knowledge of some important connections.