Wednesday 4 December 2013

How Do YOU Spend Your Dash

5 minutes before sitting down to do this post I had found it chilly in the house deciding the wood stove needed restarted.  The ashes had built up so I took the first scoop into the shovel, thinking it was secure while I opened the lids to the ash can and .... these things always seem to happen in your most tired moments, do they not? is this to test our strengths of patience and perseverance?  I do not know but they always seem to happen to me when I am beyond tired.


The ashes are cleaned up and the wood stove is "fired up", but unfortunately I am still beyond tired.  I am always really wiped after a long day of driving to and fro, but the enjoyment of seeing the kids, family and/or friends is always worth the extra fatigue, aches and pains.

On to the day at hand ....

Both Rob and I were exhausted last night, however I seemed to have gotten more sleep then he as he was called out at midnight to do a call.  With the weather being nasty it took  him almost three hours to return back home to be called back out again at 5 am for another pickup.

My poor Crabby Cabbie just got home today from a long day behind him, before 5 pm, to get called back out.  I hope he gets back home and straight to bed for hopefully a fitful nights sleep ahead for him (and myself)).

First thing this morning Rob got called out I went along for the ride as I had to drop off a few things I had picked up for my friend, Lisa, yesterday at Costco, as well as drop around to the bank.  The roads had been quite mucky and slushy, that nasty stuff that seems to pull you in.  Over Colpoy's Bay it had been still foggy with the mildness of the morning.  I was thanking God there had not been any Freezing Rain that they had a warning out for the night before, or it would have been a real mess.


Rob had to drop off one of our Crabby Cabbie vehicles to get Winter Tires on the front, as the All Seasons were not as good as he thought they would be in the guck and mush of the roads this morning.  While he did that, I dropped off a gift to my neighbour, Pari, as she has been very kind to Rob and I, deserving a little "uplift" in her Life so I thought.

Ha ! much to my surprise, Pari had also had a little something for me ... look at the lovely photo frame I have now to fill with photos of all the kids.  I can't wait to get photos to put in it and have it hung !


Today in the mail I had also received another Christmas Card from a Member of Cindy's Recipe Exchange.  Thanks Tammy ... I LOVE that you are also part of the Exchange !!! and everyone else that has made it was it is, full of Sharing & Fun.


This afternoon I headed out after 1 pm to Downs & Sons Funeral Home in Hepworth to attend a Service in Celebration of Life for my friend's Father.  Bob Vary, my friend Toni's husband, and his  sister, Kathy, lost their Father this past Saturday.  Their Mother Irene, and Father, Alvin Vary, were pillars of example in their community for many people.  I admired Irene's strength this day in believe her husband is now at Peace with his Maker.

The service was lovely.  I really enjoyed the Minister sharing the Story, "How Do You Live Your Dash?" by Linda Ellis:

I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend. He referred to the dates on her tombstone from the beginning...to the end. He noted that first came her date of birth And spoke the following date with tears, But he said what mattered most of all Was the dash between those years. (l900-l970)

For that dash represents all the time That she spent alive on earth... And now only those who loved her Know what that little line is worth. For it matters not, how much we own; The cars...the house...the cash, What matters is how we live and love And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard... Are there things you'd like to change? For you never know how much time is left, That can still be rearranged. If we could just slow down enough To consider what's true and real, And always try to understand The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger, And show appreciation more And love the people in our lives Like we've never loved before. If we treat each other with respect, And more often wear a smile... Remembering that this special dash Might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy's being read With your life's actions to rehash... Would you be proud of the things they say About how you spent your dash?

There was much goodness remembered and said about Alvin Vary's "Dash", that gave his wife, children, family and friends that he left behind much to be proud of.

I really feel I have been living living "my Dash" better the past few years.  I am of the opinion that I would be proud of what things would be said About How I Spent My Dash.

When I returned home late this afternoon I was beyond myself with the feeling of fatigue, deciding I would brew a first pot of coffee in the Bunn Commercial Style Coffee Brewer I had purchased on Kijiji for a great price of $50.00, considering it was barely used and to buy new it would have cost me $150.00 and taxes.

The Coffee Brewer was even complimented by a can of Tim Hortons Coffee Grinds and mug my friend, Bob, had gifted me yesterday.


All was going well until I went to get myself a first cup of coffee, after following the step by step instructions on brewing a pot, to find a total mess of coffee grinds all over the pot and my counter. What a mess that was to clean up !!!  I called Bunn, who is going to send me a special sprayer required when you have a water softener, as well as advising me to buy Bunn coffee filters, and to make only up to 6 cups until I receive the new sprayer.

Two very huge messes, and nothing done but our bed made today was bad when one is so tired as myself, is it ?

My Crabby Cabbie has just pulled in, so I am going to wrap up things for this day, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

3 comments:

  1. When your'e tired and stressed, a spillage like that can reduce you (or certainly me) to tears. It happened to me a couple of days ago. Big hugs and a virtual dustpan and brush to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised there aren't winter tires on all of the vehicles in Crabby Cabbie and company already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, William, as Rob was thinking the All Seasons were meaty enough to go the Winter, but they did not seem to take well to the first couple of snow falls, so had to bring out the big guns for the last one, as all others were already equipped.

      Delete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...