Monday 5 March 2012

Walk The Line It Is Income Tax Time !!!

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine ..... because your mine, so says the Taxman !



Absolutely "love" this song as my father, "Fritz" Harold Masterson, did.  I am thinking my Dad could even play the harmonica along to this one.  Oh man could he play some "train" with that harmonica, could my Dad !


"It was some "frosty" out there this morning, even though the "Sun" was out in full force."



It was a look after the "pack", make the bed, fold a load of laundry, tidy up a bit and head out the door kind of start to my morning.  Today we had an appointment with the Account to drop around the paper work to have our 2011 Income Tax for personal and "Crabby Cabbie" business.

"All organized and ready to go forth with ! "


Since the accountant is located in Owen Sound, we decided we would leave earlier so we could pick up a few grocery items and other such items here and there beforehand.

Zellers have their plastic storage bins and totes on sale this week for excellent prices so this was the first stop we made.  Zellers was a whopping $87.03 !  For this amount I got 2 for the price of  1 Bins I wanted for Mercede's dog food and one for my brown flour, one very large see through one for the Grandboy's toys, 3 pkgs of 16 Dlb roll Royal toilet paper for $6.99 each (I had a rain check for this price), and a King Size Quilt for our Queen size bed at a cost of $41.97 (30% off).  All considering I suppose we didn't do too bad.  Other then the toilet paper, these are not items you go out once a month to purchase.

Next stop was Food Basics, which was a whopping total of $67.71 !  Becel Margarine at $3.97 for a purchase of 4, Half & Half creamer at $2.49 each for a purchase of 8, really starts making the tally go up pretty quickly.  Considering our local store charges approx. $6. or $7. for the Becel and $4.29 each for Half & Half, the savings was substantial in the long run.  Then there were the usual fruit and veggie purchases.

Last stop before the accountants was Walmart for Dog Food totaling $47.00 !

Wow after we pay the accountant when he completes our taxes, the gas there and back again to pick up the paperwork, it ends up being a pretty expensive trip to appease the "Tax Man" !!!  Once again, the big guy comes ahead ... lol.  Might as well laugh then cry, or I would surely have me a "river" !

"Bought us a little "piece" of Spring today."


"Love how the new quilt brightens up our bedroom, although I would much rather have a handmade one by Debby over at Nanny's Place.  Debby makes beautiful quilts.  However, I do have two handmade quilts, one made by my Sister, Jeanne, and one by my mother-in-law and Rob's sister, Shirley, both being being brought out for the spare bedrooms this Spring."


I had to buy a King size, so it would drape evenly down over the sides of our pillow top mattress, as it is so high.  It covered it perfectly.  Can't wait to get fresh paint done in this room, hopefully some time this Spring, if not at least some time this Year???? since the second spare bedroom comes first.

We are now Five strong in my "Get Your Plate In Shape" March Eat Right Challenge, HERE.  Sharon, Bonne, Mrs. Thrifty at New Beginnings, Lena at Frugal & Thankful, and myself have each set a Goal for ourselves to start working towards, not necessarily completing by the end of March, but hopefully getting a great start towards each set goal by this time.

Hey gals, please email me your Goals at justnorthofwiarton@live.ca, and each Friday thereafter with your progress.  My Goal is 10 lbs, and I am hoping to make a good start towards loosing some of this amount before the end of March.

Your progress will be how much weight has been lost off your goal that week, ie. 1/2 lb, etc., any tips for accomplishing your goal you have been utilizing, ie. eating habits, menu adjustments, exercise, etc...  I will post our progress once a week.  Weights will not be disclosed, just the progress and your original set Goal (ie. Goal -10lbs; 1st week minus progress -1/2 lbs).  Fair enough?

I really don't mind everyone knowing I weigh 150 lbs.  I do have excuses (all ready set in my my mind, lol), since I quit smoking almost 3 years ago, have began menopause the past year, and have also gone through a couple lazy periods here and there in-between, which I am sure all have attributed to my 15 lb weight gain the past four years .... LOL.

"The taste "test" was done tonight by Rob, who gave the Slow Cooker Bean Soup a "thumbs up".  I am sure this will be another "keeper" at our house."


Slow Cooker Split Pea (or Bean Soup)

7 cups water
2 1/4 cups split peas or beans (soaked and rinsed according to pkg. directions)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 medium carrots, 1/4 inch slices (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 lbs. of Pork Hocks (I trimmed most of the fat from them)


Mix all above in large Slow Cooker, place pork hocks on top, cook on low 8-10 hours.  Once cooked, remove bones, returning any meat back into slow cooker.

An excellent hearty soup, chalk full of goodness and fibre.

For those who missed today's earlier post with the Guest Article on warding of those Winter Blues, you may find it HERE.

That pretty much sums up the day had by myself out, about and right here, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

3 comments:

  1. Dairy products have gone sky high, well everything is going up as well, you got a food price on your butter and all. And great deals on all the rest, I find if I leave the house I tend to spend more than I planned every time, best for me to stay at home!! Your bread recipie was so good, thanks for sharing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groceries are high all over now. OUr taxes are ready to file, dh just has to do it.........

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are doing our taxes on Friday.I can't wait! I'll e-mail you tonight.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...