Thursday 29 March 2012

Rockin' Robin' Tweet Tweetly-Tweet


"These little guys were hoppin'& a-boppin' all over the place this morning.  Um, wonder if it was to "Rockin' Robin"?" 



I was still totally exhausted this morning, however I had taken hamburger out of the freezer Tuesday which needed to be made into some Spaghetti Sauce today, as I was otherwise somewhat occupied yesterday....

".... since we had been touring part of Ontario to add to our collection of "Crabby Cabbie" vehicles for the Crabby Cabbie & his not so "Crabby" wife."


Let's see that would be one for me and the "pack", one for the "Crabby Cabbie" himself, one for ???? the non-existent person, and one for "backup" (you know just incase one of those "life" experiences happen to us).  I suppose you would call this "prepared" for almost anything, would you not?  or in the "poor house" with gasoline prices at $1.35/litre and insurance premiums?


"I did get "cracking" on the spaghetti sauce first thing, as it was what we had for our Dinner today."


Recipe???

Spaghetti With Meat Sauce

Recipe Compliments of the Creative Cooking Cookbook & Adjustments by Cindy Masterson-Roth

Meat Sauce 
1 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped ( I omit)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste (or 2 - 5 1/2 ounce)
1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms,drained ( I use a 10 oz can or fresh)
1 1/2 cups water ( I use 1 - 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained instead)
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. basil
1 garlic clove, crushed (I use 1-2 tsp. of minced jarred garlic)

Combine meat and onion in Dutch oven; cook until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain off excess fat. Add remaining ingredients; cover & simmer 1 1/2 hours partially covered. Simmer 1 hour or until sauce is thick; stir occasionally during cooking.



I also wanted to make some muffins for my "Crabby Cabbie's" lunches.  With having quite a few peaches in our freezer, I set about looking for a Muffin Recipe that used "peaches".


This is the one I found and made:


Spiced Peach Muffins
Recipe Courtesy of www.kingflour.com

4 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups milk
4 peaches, diced (not peeled) or 3 cups small whole berries or other fruit, diced
granulated sugar

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in eggs, vegetable oil and milk, then gently stir in fruit. Grease 16 muffin cups, and heap batter into cups; they'll be very full. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until muffins test done. 


Makes 16 muffins.

NOTE: I adapted this recipe by using 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour & 2 cups White Flour & decreased the Brown Sugar to 1 1/2 cups; approx. 2 cups chopped frozen peaches; do not be deterred by the thickness of the batter, as I found it to be quite "stiff".  Using frozen chopped up peaches, approx. 2 cups, seemed to thin the batter a bit.


"The muffins turned out really good.  I will not hesitate on using this recipe again."


I am curious if there is anyone out there who reads my daily "blog", if they do try out the recipes I make and post from time to time.  Would like to hear from anyone who has or does, so please do feel free to drop me a line or two to let me know what you have tried and if you so enjoyed, at justnorthofwiarton@live.ca   I look forward to hearing from you !

"Oh yes, while I was "snapping" photos of the birdies, little Missy Mercedes did not want to be left out.  She actually sits and waits for her picture to be taken now.  Typical "kid", isn't she?"


Everyone around here best be lapping up all the attention they can get from me now, as in another few weeks time when the "Checkerboard Aussie's" new 2012 litter arrives I will be pretty busy with them after a couple weeks of them being born.  Mama Lexus is doing just fine, and Poppa Bandit doesn't have a "clue" .... lol.


"More cold tempartures along with a brisk North wind today."


"It never ceases to amaze me how the plant life is so "robust" and "hardy" with all the surrounding changes and at times unsettled weather conditions."



Other then making the Spaghetti Sauce and Muffins, washing two sink full of dishes, and the bed made today, I think that is all I have accomplished.  I am still "pooped" out from all the travelling and goings on from the previous days.  However I did "treat" myself later on in the afternoon by heading downtown Wiarton to my Hairdresser at "Hair Solutions".

"It was just the "lift" I needed this week.  It is amazing how having someone else wash your hair and having it professionally cut, can give us a much needed "lift" at times.  I felt a bit better after having this done!"


I just realized this morning that Easter Weekend is almost upon us, with Good Friday being a week away tomorrow, and Pslam Sunday this coming Sunday !  

"I really would like to be serving Ham and Scalloped Potatoes for the Easter Celebration meal, however we have a Turkey in the freezer.  Turkey is Rob's preference, so "ham" it will NOT be this Year."


"A friend also emailed me today, asking if I could post the Easter Dinner being provided by Salvation Army, located at the Wiarton Community Church, 576 Edward Street, Wiarton.  Should anyone be interested in attending, please call Tess at 519-534-0353, mark your calendars for the 7th of April 2012, with further details outlined below."


For a donation, I am thinking this might be an option for myself to have some "ham" this upcoming Easter?  Um, will have to give this some more thought ....


Oh my, it is almost 8 pm here !!!  Time does fly by and gets away from me most evenings, or so it seems.  I love that "dusk" is just beginning here now at this time, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

3 comments:

  1. I try some of your recipes even if some of the propreitry ingredients are not available to us over here - I just do a 'nearest thing, sounds like' type of match up.

    I like the spaghetti recipe and will give that a go - may have to improvise with tomato sauce and tomato paste quantities as we usually add paste concentrate and puree tomatoes.

    I like to add fresh herbs - Oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, etc and chives and chopped green shallots. Cannot beat having your own fresh herbs available for cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have tried your recipes before.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the sort of posts I love
    eclectic and interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...