Monday 19 March 2012

Goodbye Winter 2011-2012

You would never know today was the last day of Winter with the high 20 C temperatures (80*F) we have been having the past few days.  Even though Winter was very "gentle" this year, compared to the year before when it started in November, ending in April, I am still glad it is over.

I am still bracing myself for one last Winter like "hurrah" before it is all said and done, with it not being all over until the "Fat Snowflake Sings" one more time !  LOL

"Simply another gorgeous day once the fog was burned off by the warmth of the rising sun."


Rob and I had to go to Owen Sound this morning.  Rob had an appointment at the Owen Sound Hospital.  Since Rob was going to be tied up for a couple of hours, this gave me some time to  myself.  I did have some time to myself, since I had made arrangements to meet up with one of my Recipe Exchange members, Toni Vary, who lives not too far from Owen Sound ....

"Toni and her husband, Bob, started an indoor garden by seed in December, which I had the privilege to be invited in to view.  How healthy looking is this wonderful display of vegetable greenery?"


"I was not only able to see this wonderful "grow" operation of Toni's indoor veggies, I also got to "pick" Toni's brain a bit about the seeds she had purchased and how they got this garden going."


"In December there were no seeds to be found in any of the local stores, so Toni resorted to ordering Organic seeds from a local Ontario Farm in Palmerston, Hawthorn Farms.  They can be found online at www.hawthornfarm.ca "


"I was absolutely "thrilled" when Toni shared one of her prize tomato plants that her and her husband, had so lovingly nurtured for the past 3 months, with me !  Thanks Toni, I can't wait until it bears fruit for Rob & I !  Isn't it healthy?  and it has flowers on it too!"


"Walmart stores open at 7:00 am, so I am sure I was making an entrance at the Owen Sound Wally World before 8:00 am this morning."


After I browsed Walmart, I headed over to Zellers to do some more browsing, then to the VON office to meet up with Jessica, Program Coordinator for the VON Caregiver Support & Education Series in the Grey-Bruce areas.  I hadn't had too much time spent with Jessica, as it wasn't long before I had to collect Rob back at the Hospital.

Speaking of Caregivers and Caregiving, anyone in the Grey-Bruce Counties please be made aware there is a "Care for the Caregiver Day" on Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 from 9:30-3:30 at the Days Inn Hotel & Convention Centre in Owen Sound.  This is a day devoted to Family Caregivers, at NO COST.  For further information, or to Register, please contact:

519-371-5331 x223 or 1-800-265-3138
or
Jessica.slater@von.ca  or  Jacqueline.herbert@von.ca

See you there !!!

"I took advantage of the weather today, with it not having "high" winds, by doing up all the laundry and hanging out on the Clothesline." 


THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES: 
(If you don't even know what clotheslines are, better skip this.)
1. You had to hang the socks by the toes... NOT the top. 2. You hung pants by the BOTTOM/cuffs... NOT the waistbands. 3. You had to WASH the clothesline(s) before hanging any clothes - walk the entire length of each line with a damp cloth around the lines. 4. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first. 5. You NEVER hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think? 6. Wash day on a Monday! NEVER hang clothes on the weekend, or on Sunday, for Heaven's sake! 7. Hang the sheets and towels on the OUTSIDE lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!) 8. It didn't matter if it was sub-zero weather... clothes would "freeze-dry." 9. ALWAYS gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky"! 10. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item. 11. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed. 12. IRONED???!! Well, that's a whole OTHER subject!   

Thanks to our friend, Bob Corp, for sharing this with me via email !  By the way, I got 10 out of 12 on the Clothesline Rule points down pat !!!  LOL

"Not only was the weather fantastic to hang clothes out on the line, it makes life simple when we can begin using the Barbecue again.  Yeah !!!  No more pots & pans, I love it !!!"


After posting yesterday's "blog", when Rob and I were relaxing a bit before bedtime, Rob blurted out, "I did buy you a card and everything". (reference being made to a Birthday Card for me)

Me:   "What is the "everything" Rob."

Rob:  "The envelope the card goes into.  I should go out into the Van and get it for you."

Me:   "Sigh", along with "laughter"



Quite understandable why the "laughter" after the "sigh" isn't it?  LOL ... I do love my Rob ! just because someone has to !!!  xoxoxo  Oh yes, and the envelope was a beautiful pale "yellow" colour, which I loved as much as the card !

It is "check-in" time for us gals doing the March "Eat Right" & Weight loss Challenge.

Cindy:  Weight Loss:       - 1/2 lb.
             Measurements:   No changes
             Goals:                 Up my exercise and/or activities this week, 
                                     omit any eating between meals

Lena:  Weight Loss:     - 2 1/2 lbs (way to go, Lena !)
           Measurements:  Waist -.8"; Hips -1.6"; Stomach - 2.6"
           Goals:                Exercise, drink more water, better food choices

Sharon:  Absent this week

Bonnie:  Weight Loss:     None reported
               Measurements:  Inches have been lost
               Goals:               Increase walking

Mrs. Thrifty:  Just came on board this week, because of illness.  
                     Welcome aboard !!!
                     Goals:  Loose 2 lbs. to begin; begin walking 20 minutes 
                                for 4 days out of a week.

Way to go everybody !  I am so happy I have company with this, thank you for being on the Challenge with me.

With the laundry caught up and Aiden's room tided and put back together today, there is still lots to "catch up" on around here, but tomorrow is another day, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to start our little garden this year. I had 10 tomato plants last year and we haven't bought a single tomato for about 5 months. I'll plant peas this weekend and salad and spinach in the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crabby cabby sounds like my hubby in the gift giving department! Ha, gotta love them! Good luck with your tomato plant, I am not really ready to start up the garden yet, I feel like we were cheated out of a winter, just one cold week would be so nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think we haven't seen the end of Winter yet also.......

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree spring is here!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...