Friday 20 January 2012

Keep Those Home Fires Burning .... brrrrrr !

As we headed out to leave for my weekly Doctor's appointment, North of the Checkerboard, I took a quick glance at the thermometer on our outside post ..... brr, it was sitting at a very chilly -14 without a Windchill factor.

"Having just pulled out from our driveway and making our way North, our truck is far from being warmed up at this point."


"Twenty minutes into our trip North and the side windows are still frosted up ... brrr."


"We finally turn off Hwy. 6 onto the side road taking us into Lion's Head towards my Doctor's office.  This road can be pretty nasty with crosswinds and major drifting on any given Winter Day."


I hadn't been at my Doctor's for a weekly shot since before Christmas, and only once two days after New Year's Day when I was so sick.

Dr. Loney did briefly  touch base with me about my CT Scan I had done two weeks prior.  He told me something underlying the pneumonia was showing up, and he will be taking some blood samples next Friday when I am back in, as he was a bit behind this morning.  More waiting .... I really think it is the unknown and the waiting that drives us "NUTS", does it not?  I am thinking I will be trying NOT to worry about this, and take it as it comes, as really how else can it be dealt with otherwise?

I have been still feeling somewhat *void* of energy, with a slight pain in my chest.  Medications are all done with, so we will see how things take their course, hopefully in the right direction.  I am still taking it "easy" !

I must report with all this accumulated snow we have gotten the past day or two, my Snowmen, inside and out have been quite content with it all ...... as you can tell.

"Oh it's so delightful .... Let it Snow, let it snow, let it snow !"


I suppose the crisp cold is much better to "kill" off those nasty bugs that have been attacking our bodies, and easier on the bones then the dampness.  I suppose I will dress accordingly, keep the home fires burning, and not go outside unless I absolutely have to .... no worried my dear "pack", Bandit, Lexus and Mercedes, I will not forget about you three !!!!

Yesterday I decided I was going to make Macaroni and Cheese today for our Dinner, so once we arrived back home from my Doctors, North of the Checkerboard, I got right to it.

"Everything all lined up and ready to fire all together.  I decided to use what 4 Cheese Italiano  I had left in along with some shredded Old Cracker Barrel Cheddar."


"Once the macaroni was cooked al'dente, the oven preheated, I got the sauce mixed and melted together."


"Right out of the oven and ready to be served up for our Dinner."


Yummy, was this Macaroni and Cheese every creamy and good.  Absolutely loved it and happy there is some leftover for tomorrow's lunch.  The recipe I used was out of my very old standby Recipe Book, "The Purity Cookbook", which was my very first Cookbook.

"This Cookbook has been around the block and back a few times.  Many times it is still the first book I refer to before any other."


The recipe is as follows:

Macaroni and Cheese

Preheat Oven to 350*F
Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole

In saucepan, heat until foamy
2 tablespoons of margarine

Add and cook until onion is transparent.
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery

Stir in
1 - 10 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup milk
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Heat stirring constantly, until cheese is melted.

Blend in
3 cups cooked elbow macaroni
1/2 cup canned tomatoes

Turn into prepared casserole.  Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Makes 6 servings.

NOTE:  I used more macaroni, cheese and tomatoes when making mine.

All in a day's morning.  Dishes have been rinsed and waiting for me to wash them.  They will get done, along with the load of wash still hanging dry on the clothes horse in front of the woodstove, all in good time.

The day has been grey, cold and crisp.  Now it being almost the time has come around for my "Crabby Cabbie" to leave for what he does best, of course here comes the snowflakes !  Hopefully they will stay light and not as bad as yesterday was, as it took him some time to get himself back home last night in the nasty weather.

I am thinking this has been pretty much my day thus far, and I am going to enjoy a coffee with my Crabby Cabbie before he takes his leave, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

2 comments:

  1. you're right not knowing is just the worst. Mac and Cheese is always a good meal. However I like mine plain and simple with nothing extra added to it.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I hope you get your results in soon! Keep on resting up & stay positive!! :)

    The Mac & cheese looks fabulous!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...