Sunday 8 December 2013

Honey Sweet Walnut Pie

This morning? of course what would morning be without having an early start to it.  Honestly all my life I have never been one to sleep in, not that I didn't mind the few times I have, but sleep period some nights would be most welcome !!!  *Sigh* but time doesn't not wait for one to "catch up" on their sleep, and I am not one for wanting to miss out much on Life.

I got going first thing on the bed stripped and into the washer (cheap hydro day it being Sunday and all).  Since I was having my friend in for Dinner with us I also used the dryer instead of having it hanging in front of the Wood Stove on the wooden clothes horse.

I also had to head on down town to do some banking and make a delivery to my Mom, which I had not time for the other day.

Breakfast had just been over with so I had found Mom back in her room.  Flowers that have strong aromas are not the best to be taking to Hospitals, homes, etc ... for those of us who are very "smell sensitive", so I felt rather safe getting Mom some mini Mums that had been "sparkled" for the Season.


Once all my downtown errands had been completed, I got going on getting Dinner preparations going.  Out of the freezer had came a pound each of ground pork and venison.  Slow Cooker Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls were in the works ....

The meats were browned and drained.  Into the Crock Pot the layers went, with shredded cabbage, meats, onion, and rice with tomatoes, garlic, thyme, tomato soup, and then topped with the remainder of cabbage.  Eight (8) hours on HIGH and Dinner is served.


Recipe please?  I adapted what I made from this recipe I had googled that you will find HERE.

Once that was all out of the way I decided to make a Honey Pecan Pie, but only using Walnuts.  This is a recipe I had came across in the new January 2014 Canadian Living Magazine.

I had all the ingredients on hand, so it was a hands down decision to give this recipe a "try".  


A perfect Dessert that would flatter any Christmas Dessert table.  Another Keeper in my Recipe Folders !


Recipe Please?  *Click* on the following link:

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/honey_pecan_pie.php

Just before the pie was done, Rob was called out on a call.  I could not go along as there was still 15 minutes left on the pie baking in the oven.   Once the pie was cooling I made up our bed fresh before putting my feet up.  I was feeling very very weary mid-afternoon.

By 4 pm my friend had made her way over.  Around 6 pm the three of us sat down to enjoy a great slow cooked meal and an amazing dessert.  We had a lovely meal and visit.  Rob drove her home after 8 pm, then his friend, Rob, showed up almost right after.  Friend Rob came in for a piece of pie, a cup of coffee and a bit of a visit too.

With a full day behind me, but one where I felt satisfied I accomplished a few things I was content with that.  The "new" made for TV Bonnie & Clyde is airing tonight on Satellite History Channel at 9:00 pm.  Part one tonight, and part two tomorrow night.

Here is to me staying awake to watch the program until the very end tonight, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

5 comments:

  1. As I don't care for the taste of pecans, this would be a welcome alternative.

    It has been a long time since I had cabbage rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great day and a delicious dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you think of Bonnie and Clyde? I tried to watch it, but the old one with Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty kept washing through my brain. I abandoned it in favor of the conclussion of Amazing Race.
    Yummmm, pie.........how I crave a piece of pecan/walnut pie.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pecan pie is one of my favorite desserts. I like that this version uses honey. To me there's nothing better than a slice of pecan pie (or walnut pie) and a cup of coffee. You have lucky friends!

    Thank you for sharing this week, Cindy.

    PS your mom looks absolutely delighted with her mums.

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...