Tuesday 31 December 2013

Father Time's Last Entry For 2013


This evening is the last day in Father'Time's Books marked as the final day for 2013.  In a few short hours  the 2014 New Year will be upon us.  

Rob & I would like to wish all our family, friends and acquaintances much Health, Happiness, Warmth and Good Food for each of you & your families in 2014.

My day, once again, began early around 5 am or so.  The weatherman had predicted a Snow Squall Warning, with 70% chance of precipitation this day ....

.... he was right on the money today for a change, as I has barely stopped all day.  I look out many times throughout the day, admiring the Pine Tree in our front yard.  I do love its stateliness.  There is also one in our back yard that I admire as much.


It was a Soup kind of day.  The Stock I had made yesterday had been set out on the deck last night.  I was beyond "cooled off" when Rob retrieved it for me this morning.  First everything was chopped and placed into the Crock Pot.  Some of the strained stock was then added, along with a bit of Thyme.  The stock pot of stock gave me a Crock of soup, and 5 - 4 cup containers for the freezer.  We did well with our Christmas Turkey leftovers.  Not a smidgen of turkey left in our house now.  The Turkey Noodle Soup when it was done? so very very good.


I always have had a problem peeling and cutting waxed Rutabagas over the years.  Rob always does them for me.  Nancy, one of the members of Cindy's Recipe Exchange on Facebook, posted to poke them with a fork, cover with paper towel and put them in the microwave to make this chore much easier.

Today I tried Nancy's method for the first time, and I can not say how ecstatic I am about the results.  Rob is going to be so pleased he does not have this chore anymore.  This one small Rutabaga took only 3 minutes, and peeled with the ease of doing an orange.  Thanks Nancy !


There are times when things bother me so much I have to STOP everything else I am doing, and address what has been bugging me.  With being so busy before Christmas, Gall Bladder problems and migraines, I found myself way behind on regular household chores.  

This afternoon I tackled the problem area that has been bugging me for some time.  Everything was removed from the front foyer, and scrubbed down on my hands and knees.  Believe, you, me, I am feeling much much better now I have got that behind me.


Someone posted on my Recipe Exchange that whatever you do on New Year's Day sets the tone for the remainder of the Year.  I am NOT going to be doing any housework tomorrow, so does that mean my house will be more of a disaster then it already was in the 2013 Year?  I surely hope not.

From time to time there are offers on Facebook for free samples.  My friend, Toni with an "i" pointed out one not too long ago to me from Healthy Essentials by Johnson & Johnson..

Today in the mail I received a little box of some nice samples.  I do love getting to "try before I buy", do you as well?


My friend, Sharon, who had sewed us the Crabby Cabbie Business Card holder, and who also has made me a Crabby Cabbie wallet clutch, posted the finishing touch to the wallet to her Facebook page the other day.

Check out the amazing little Crab she found to make the clutch "complete".  Thank you Sharon I was so "Over the Top" when I seen this !!!


I cannot express how fortunate I am to have so many talented and giving friends.  That is an abundance of wealth in itself.

After many years I came to the conclusion it was best not to make New Year's Resolutions so that what is not made, could not be broken.  However I would rather make more attainable smaller goals to tackle.  One of these of course is the 52 Week Money Challenge.  Another that has been on my mind is to get myself back on track on being for fit.  I fell off the "fit" wagon 2 years ago after having two knee surgeries in one year.  Well it has gotten out of control as far a I am concerned, as when I had been walking daily I was less winded and feeling much better.  I somehow have to get myself back on this same track again.  Last week I started on the stationary exercise bike for a few minutes at a time (as such things need to be eased into), however that didn't last long as the darn seat is so hard my butt sustained injury.  This will never do, so until I get a gel to go on it at Canadian Tire, my biking days are over.  However I will be making a solid attempt in the New Year to begin a daily walking regiment again.  Small doable goals, nothing overwhelming that will exceed higher expectations and bring me down.

A friend of mine posted about the Toltec Spirit's Four Agreements:
The Four Agreements are:
1. Be Impeccable with your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.
2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
3. Don’t Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret.
You can read more by *clicking* HERE.  I believe these four agreements are good standards for anyone to live by, and I will continue my best in the New Year to practice them.  

My goal last Year had been to be KINDER to others.  I feel I have lived up to this goal, even though I am very sure throughout the Year I have fallen short of it a few times.  I hope I did my best, and my best is all I can ever give.

On that note ....

... and Wiarton: 519-477-5950

It will be another evening I spend with my Aussies, while my Crabby Cabbie Rob is out trying to Save the World, as well as trying to carve us out a living from this ole World.  That is all she wrote for this last day of 2013, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

10 comments:

  1. I'm not making any goals or resolutions this year. We will just take one month at a time and see how it goes. Happy New Year, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Cindy! I always enjoy your blog every day. How you have the energy to do it at the end of your busy days I don't know, but it's great! I'm going to try that rutabaga peeling tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled with the Turnip Peel tip & I am sure Rob will be too now he doesn't have to peel for me anymore !

      Delete
  3. I have never been one to make resolution's lol . Soup for us tonight to as it has been snowy and blowy here to ! Wishing you and your family a safe and Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the weather up there is better than down here. Lots of blowing snow and road closures. I hate when this happens on New Years Eve as people always think they "have" to get to their parties. Praying for the safety of those on the road, especially the cab drivers that so many depend on to get them home safely from their parties. I have heard the Turnip idea before. How long do you leave it in the microwave. Must try this, next time I get a urnip. I cut myself very badly a number of years ago getting a turnip ready, spent a few hours in the E.R. getting stitches. Happy New Year to you and Rob, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cook the turnip all of the way in the microwave. Wrap it in papertowel and cook for around 10 minutes. (Depends on the size of the turnip!) Easy easy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is ! I will try that next time, but I just wanted to peel it to chop & put into the turkey soup this time around.

      Delete
  6. A happy new year to you!

    We drove down from Guelph to Mississauga to spend the evening at an aunt and uncle's house. I was surprised we were going, given the high winds that day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good tip and like the 4 agreements too. Happy new year from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to comment earlier from my new phone and I think I'm just going to stop that nonsense. Ha!

    If what you say is true and New Years Day activities indicate what I'll be doing this year, then I'll be stuffing my face and hanging out with extended family. Not too shabby!

    Thank you for sharing this rutabaga tip. They are difficult to peel, like butternut squash. I always feel like I'm going to injure myself!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...