Wednesday 19 December 2012

Busy Busy Baking More

I was in bed at 7:30 pm last night.  Far cry from my usual 10:00 pm.  I slept a broken sleep, but still it was sleep.  Up and at it first thing.  There is a weather pressure system moving in with rain, freezing rain and lots of snow, according to the Weather Forecast, so I am certain this has caused havoc on worsening my headaches more then usual.

The weather had been pretty mild since the end of November.  It appears we might be having a White Christmas after all.

Who doesn't LOVE a White Christmas and/or Bing Cosby ???


When we had coming through Hanover yesterday on our way back home, we had also stopped at the Shopper's Drug Mart.  On the recommendation of my Cousin Paula, I thought I would try out the Burt's Bees products for my poor dry skin.

"I made a purchase of both the day time cream and night time moisturizers.  I selected the "sensitive" skin, since I have allergies I break out very easily to seemingly more and more scents all the time.  These are quite pricey at $29.99 each, however it was an early Christmas gift to myself.  I need to treat myself once in awhile and this was one way of doing that.  Hopefully the product will agree with me... I am certain I will know in a day or two.  So far today I haven't broke out by using the day time cream this morning (fingers crossed it stays this way)."


Last evening Rob's Cousin, Joyce, called me to see if I would go along with her to pick up the Christmas Turkey she had ordered from Dejong Acres Farm, as she had never been there before.  Joyce picked me up at 9:00 am this morning, and we arrived at the Dejong Farm at 9:20.

"I love pulling into a farm yard to see livestock wandering around.  The Indian Runner ducks (the white ones) are very amusing to watch.  Quiet alarmed at first until they realize you are no threat."


"There is still a nice selection of Gift items for purchase in the "Sweet Things" store.  Anita was her usual helpful self in assisting Joyce pick out a chicken as well.  All "homegrown" chickens, as well as lamb is available, with Turkeys "by order"  Check out the size of that 18 pounder Joyce purchased ! maybe Rob and I should be heading up to Red Bay Christmas Day.  I am certain she had mentioned Dinner was around 6 pm? *smile*"


Should you need any Farm Raised chicken or lamb or eggs or Epicure Products or gift giving ideas, please contact your Hosesst, Anita Dejong, by *clicking* HERE.  You can also find them on Facebook by dropping on over to give their FB Page a great big old "LIKE" by *clicking* HERE.  Too bad there was a "LOVE" button over there as I would be choosing that one, as I LOVE Dejong Acres Farm !

Joyce dropped me back off around home just shortly after 10:00 am.  We hadn't been too long in our travels out to Lake Charles and back.  My headache was still not giving up, but I had things to do and was not going to let it get the best of me.  After I had looked after all the needs of the "Checkerboard Aussies" ....

"... I sat myself down with a coffee to figure out what I was going to accomplish this day.  The "Rocky Roads" I had made needed taken out of the pan they were made in and put in an air tight container.  Of course I had to sample one before they were stored away (and yes it had just been one this time)."


"I got it all together to make a 9x13" pan of Lemon Bars.  Crust all ready to be popped into the 350* Oven for 20 minutes."


"While the bottom was baking I got to making the filling.  Check out the size of that egg !  Farm Fresh right from Dejong Acres Farm, where else would I buy my eggs?  Mixed and poured into the baked crust."


"Twenty-five minutes later with it out of the Oven, sprinkled with icing sugar and left to cool."


Recipe please?  PRINTABLE RECIPE *CLICK* HERE.

My afternoon did not stop at the Lemon Bars, as I had some Green Maraschino Cherries to be used up.  I had came across a recipe that would do the trick in helping me with this over at Kevin's Closet Cooking, Chocolate and Maraschino Cherry Shortbreads.

"How simple is this when this is all that is needed for this colourful Shortbread.  Flour meets creamed butter and sugar.  Next chopped cherries and chocolate chips."


"Once mixed I shaped by using waxed paper into a square log.  This was placed into the fridge to chill for 1 hour..  Once the hour was up the slicing began."


"Yes, these Shortbread Cookies are definitely "Nom Nom Nom" !"


For a variation, after cookies have cooled they can be dipped in melted chocolate or drizzled with same.  I was happy just the way they were, and the green cherries will give nice colour to the usual red.  

Tomorrow I am hoping to make a pan of Magic Fudge and my Sister Donna's Shortbread Recipe, as the boys do love the different cut out shapes decorated with sprinkles.

"I have a list all made on who is getting a "tin" of goodies.  Hopefully I can get them filled tomorrow as well."


"Busy busy baking more" with still more to be done tomorrow.

"Just a "thought" to leave behind from the Peanut's Gang ...."


... before I head off to relax with my feet up the remainder of the evening, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

6 comments:

  1. Everything looks so yummy!! I haven't even started baking this year...I'm such a slacker. I think I'll have a baking marathon tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always so busy - I haven't baked a thing yet this year - tomorrow maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Burt's Bees stuff, Cindy! I have uber sensitive skin, eczema, etc.. and it's NEVER bothered my skin. It's soo pure and gentle! I hope it helps your skin out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sugared out but I can go for shortbread any day!
    Aimee from Craftmates

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmmm......I'm off to the larder.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, i following the "thumping thursday" blog hop. i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks
    new follower bev

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...