Saturday 22 October 2011

Pumpkins & More, But Seriously "Pumpkin Chucking" ????

It certainly was an effort and struggle to get motivated yesterday with, once again, an extremely uneventful night before as I had been on another date with Mr. Insomnia.  However, I managed to get Bandit, Lexus and Mercedes attended to, along with such as it was, myself half way presentable, before it was time to head up "North of the Checkerboard" to get a weekly shot in the arm.

I took Mercedes along with me as she is not a very good traveller, which is totally unacceptable in this household, as when we go usually one or two of the pack go along with us.  Until she gets used of travelling, she will be going along with us on every little errand, in order for her to get her "travelling paws", so to speak, lol.

On our way home, as I was passing our neighbours, Ed and Verna Elliott's Farm Market, the colour of orange caught my eye, so I had to turn around in our driveway and go back to their place to satisfy my curiosity, or in my case some days, I am sure it could be called just "plain old nosiness", lol.

"Yes there was orange, orange & more orange.  An abundance of "Pumpkin" orange there was !"


"Ha,ha,ha, the price of these "orange" wonders?  Here we go $1, $2, $3, $4 & $5 maybe?  LOL."




" .... then there was this really lonely funky looking "white" one.  Oh man, hope someone goes to Elliott's before the season ends to claim him."



"Elliott's Garden Market is only open for another week before it closes for the Season, so I would be making sure to get there to get that perfect Halloween pumpkin, along with some other "goodies" they offer before then.  I can personally testify to the fact Elliott's do make one of the very "best" Cheese Loaves I have ever tasted.  Cheese loaves are the right colour to be in the Halloween Spirit as well, are they not?"



Just as I was finished snapping pictures all those bright orange coloured pumpkins, Ed came along so we were able to have a nice "chat" with each other.  If anyone knows me well enough, they also know I usually don't have a problem "chatting" with someone ..... lol.

Among other subjects, Ed and I got talking about Kemble's "Pumpkin Chucking" Annual Event that is taking place in, where other then Kemble, today.  Although I have never personally been to a Pumpkin Chucking Event in my life, it sounds like fun and hopefully next year the grandsons could be here for us to take them along to it.  In the meantime, all the information with regards to this event can be found at the following link:


Once Ed and I parted ways, I headed home, with home being the very next driveway, I didn't have to go too far, to where Mercedes appeared very happy to "get out" of the crate in the back of the van and be "grounded" once again ..... lol, poor girl.  I do have to admit, she was much better on this trip.

Oh by the way, there is lots more Halloween Events in and around Bruce County this weekend from the Pumpkin Chucking event, to a Ghoul's Night Out and an Old Spook Haus, so check out the Top 11 Halloween Grey Bruce events going on at the following link:


I was trying a new recipe this day, so I needed to get at it so it would be ready for our Noon hour meal, before my "Crabby Cabbie" had to leave for work.  Get at it I did,with it being thoroughly enjoyed by both of us, and share I will:


Mustard-Maple Pork Tenderloin


INGREDIENTS
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage

PREPARATION

  1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  2. Combine 1 tablespoon mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl; rub all over pork. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 145°F, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
  3. Place the skillet over medium-high heat (take care, the handle will still be hot), add vinegar, and boil, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, about 30 seconds. Whisk in maple syrup and the remaining 2 tablespoons mustard; bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
  4. Slice the pork. Add any accumulated juices to the sauce along with sage. Serve the pork topped with the sauce.

NUTRITION
Per serving: 225 calories; 7 g fat ( 2 g sat , 3 g mono ); 78 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein;0 g fiber; 479 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.

NOTE:  I used regular Mustard, as I had no Dijon on hand.

As I usually do with a new recipe, I took pictures as I was going along making the recipe, then posted them to  "Cindy's Recipe Exchange" on Facebook.  It wasn't even a matter of seconds when I started noticing I was getting a very rapid response to these photos I had just posted.  

Let me tell you, without giving it any thought, when I posted the pictures of the Pork Tenderloin, of it not looking like anything but ...... let's say, I am still laughing, as when I realized, as some other group members did, when all our "evil" twins emerged, the picture could certainly appear to be something other then what it was ...... it turned out to be quite a "belly laugh" fest.

Let me share further:

"Let me, once again, repeat, "it is a Pork Tenderloin searing in the frying pan".  Now repeat after me ...... lol."





"The pan drippings being scraped off with the Mustard and Maple syrup ready to be stirred in."



"Fresh sage ready to be chopped and added into the sauce just before serving."




" Viola!  A meal fit for my most favorite "Crabby Cabbie" !!!  Served alongside new potatoes and a dish of just made stewed tomatoes."



Repeat after me, it was just a "Pork Tenderloin", and here I am still here to tell the story, along with having my first "belly laugh" of the day.  LOL !!!

"Oh yes, the stewed tomatoes I had also just made this morning from our own tomatoes from the garden.  So much flavour, "yummy" !"



I heard a little rumour yesterday that there is to be some sunshine today, well I will check in with my Wiarton Airport Weatherman to see what he has to say about this ....



There it is just peaking out a "wee" little bit from behind the cloud cover.  I have my fingers and toes crossed for sunshine !!!

*Sigh* this was quite enough adventure for my yesterday, but truly I am looking forward to a new adventure that hopefully the new day ahead is going to bring along with it, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".


1 comment:

  1. I have discovered that when I use my laptop I have to comment through the anonymous option, when using my desktop computer I can post under my Google account!!!

    Sounds like you had a good day....

    Gill

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...