Friday 16 September 2011

What An Eggciting Day That Was !

Another "Eggciting" day it was here as I sit now reflecting back on my yesterday....it all began rather "normal" (when I ever figure out what "normal" is in my lifetime) by having that much needed second cup of Java, then carrying on with getting the bed made and myself dressed.

It was going through my mind what I was going to make for our dinner, as well trying out the new "Egg Salad" recipe I had just come across the other day for Rob's lunch.  While in thought about dinner I got the eggs on to boil for the lunch, when I realized it was after 9:00 a.m. and I had to be at the Wiarton's VON SMART Program's very first day into a new season at 10:00 a.m.. 

I got myself appropriately dressed for the exercise class, or what I think is appropriate dress...lol, then went over a few things Rob and I had to discuss before I ran out the door .....

I had a "fantastic" time at the VON SMART Program !  If that "REALLY GOOD" feeling coming away from my very first attendance is any indication, I am thinking I will enjoy being a Volunteer.  I am already looking forward to "next" Thursday.

The Instructor and other Instructor/Volunteer in training (other then myself), are so fun and easy going, which is in my opinion one of the main "keys" behind any group coming together as a unit, in work, play, exercise, or whatever .... as we always can use some "fun & easy going" in any structured setting.  And the group of people that were participants of the VON SMART Program .... wow, was I ever impressed with their "get up & go" !

I was invited afterwards by a couple of the group members to go for coffee at Tim Hortons, which I was told was a weekly ritual, but had to refuse as I had a couple of things to do yet before I headed back home to start dinner.  So I left with promises that I would "do" coffee next week.

I then made my way over to Wiarton's Library to check out a couple of booking keeping books (I am sure that will be another future story or two), drop by the Explore the Bruce office to get Rob a map and have a "quick" chat with the Explore the Bruce's main man, Gem Webb, before I headed back home.

Rob and Bandit were out in the driveway when I did arrive back home; it almost seem they had been waiting for my arrival to tell me something, and "something" they not only told me, I got to smell and see that "something" for myself ....

"This is the part of the counter Rob had already started to cleanup."


"I didn't want to tip my head up to take pictures of what "under" the cupboards and overhead fan looked like, but these pictures I am sure gives a little idea of what was up there, leaving the rest to one's own imagination...."



"Spring cleaning in this corner of our kitchen has now been done twice this year, with the exception being the top of the microwave (guess I had better get on that today)."


Rob was laughing about all this, as the very first week we had moved into our just newly built home in Waterloo, he had put eggs on to boil for his lunch the next day; the two of us being so tired and exhausted we had gone to bed early.... the rest of the story can be left to the imagination once again.

Rob was just so happy that it had happened to "both" of us ....  I am just so "eggstatic" I was able to make his day !!!  NOT, lol !!!

After the mess was dealt with, I did manage to whip up some leftover potatoes, bacon, eggs, and toast for our dinner, and Rob had to have leftover chicken in his lunch, with not one complaint I might add.

I am not going to "give" up, and have just put some eggs back on to boil for his lunch today, as I sit here typing away with the new thought of .... "Mental Note to Self:  Go back out into the kitchen to check the eggs on the stove in 10 minutes from now".

Here is the method for Egg Salad that I will be making a second attempt at today:

Egg Toasts-Or Rather, the Best Lunch Box Egg Salad Ever

2 tbsp plain yogurt, or more if you wish. I used Greek yogurt because it's so thick.
salt and fresh cracked pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill or chives, and a small pinch of fresh thyme (I used 1 tbsp each dill and chives)
4 slices artisan bread
unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, peeled
4 large hard boiled eggs, cooled

In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, salt and pepper, then herbs. Set aside.

Toast the bread. When it's nice and golden, butter it very lightly and rub with the garlic clove. Set aside.

In a bowl, coarsely mash up the eggs. You want some texture so leave some pieces bigger, some small, etc. Gently mix in the yogurt mixture. You don't have to use it all, but mix in enough to get it where you like it.

Mound the egg mixture on the toasted bread and serve immediately.

**If you are making this for lunches, pack the egg mixture separately from the bread and include a spoon. This way your child can mound the egg mixture into mini pitas, naan bread, crackers, etc. No more soggy bread!

Serves 2-4

Adapted from Super Natural Every Day ~ Recipe Compliments of Chasing Tomatoes

I am thinking I will omit the thyme, thinking Rob might not enjoy it so much, and going with both the chives and dill, as the author did.  Wish me luck !  An update will be sure to come tomorrow....


After Rob got off to work, with a lunch I might add, my day continued on with much less "eggcitment".  I managed to somewhat organize the clutter of papers that had been shrewn across our diningroom table, applied for and registered "Crabby Cabbie o/b Robert Roth" online, got my hair cut, being very pleased with the results I might add, spent some time with my most two favorite "Checkerboard Aussies", Bandit & Lexus, made my usual phone calls, and actually picked up and read one part of the one bookkeeping book I had gotten from the Library, then called it a "night".

That was pretty much my "eggciting" day all wrapped up in an egg shell !

It was so frigging cold yesterday; I even had first hand reports there had been hail and slush in the Southamtpon & Port Elgin areas.  Best be checking out what is in store, weatherwise, for my day ahead....

Today:

Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this afternoon. High 14. UV index 5 or moderate.

Tonight:

Partly cloudy. Low plus 3 with risk of frost.
 

Brrr...I am really hoping for NO frost, as we haven't gotten one ripe tomato from our own plants yet, and I really don't feel like covering them all with plastic.

Not too worry myself so far today, as my Mental Note to Self worked, as the boiled eggs have been cooked, removed from the stove top along with the burner being turned off, and here I go, once again, running into a new day ahead, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...