Sunday 4 September 2011

Garage Sailing To "Down On The Board Walk"

Had another "wonderful" day yesterday, and on the "whole" the weather cooperated by working into the "big picture" quite nicely.  By the sounds of the rain pouring down outside our windows at the moment, I would say it best be getting it out of its system, as I have some plans for today that do NOT include rain !

Cousin Paula, my girlfriend, Vicki, and I headed out on schedule in and around Wiarton doing the Garage Sale Circuit in the morning.  By the time we arrived to the second one, I realized I didn't have my camera with me, thinking I had lost it somewhere.  What a "sickened" feeling did I ever have, as I have become very very attached to my little FujiFilm Digital.  I did manage to put my worse fears aside and continued on with the Garage Sailing at hand.

I think we must have "hit" at least 7 or 8 Garage Sales, with all three of us coming away with some pretty satisfying purchases.

"I was more "tickled pink" with this pair of Harley Davidson Motorcycle boots that had only been worn a couple of times for $5.00, opposed to $120.00 new (for that price who cares if we drive a Honda Goldwing, and I am not matched up, lol), a Laptop bag for $3.00, and the Rooster Teapot for $2.00.  Oh yes, and the stand under the Teapot was 10 cents."





I must tell you, I have had everybody and their dog looking to find me a wagon for my gardening, as I am thinking I am to the point one would have a very practical use along side me in the gardens.  Even used ones I have come across have had $50.00 prices on them.....

"I could not believe I absolutely stole this very nice "Model" for $5.00 !  I was beyond tickled pink, but still not as "tickled pink" as I was over the leather motorcycle boots.  I am thinking Aiden & Connor will like this "model" too when they come to Grandma & Poppa's visiting."



All in a morning of Garage Sailing, I think all three of us gals fared very well and came away with the feeling we will have to do this again sometime.....lol.

Once back at my house, much to my relief, and as the above pictures tell all, I did find my beloved little camera....*sigh* was that ever a huge relief.  In all the excitement over going Garage Sailing, I had forgotten and left it, I am certain much to its dismay as well, behind on the dining room table.

After serving Raspberry Peach Pie and tea to Paula and Vicki, Paula and I raided my veggie garden for Paula to have some beets, zucchini, Spanish onions and leeks to take along back to their cottage for her and Brad to enjoy.  I already got the report back that Brad enjoyed the piece of pie that was also sent along for him to try out.  

The Raspberry Peach pie was a hit with everyone, however since Rob doesn't care for Raspberries, he was extremely happy with his Key Lime Pie, so not to worry what Rob thinks about the pie we all loved, as then there was "more" for the rest of us....lol.  Actually he was probably happy about that, since he had the whole Key Lime Pie to himself !!!

Peach & Raspberry Pie Filling

FILLING for 9" Pie Shell

  • 6 cups sliced peeled peaches, (6-8 medium, ripe but firm; see Tip)
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
  • 2/3 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon for sprinkling
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 large egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing

Prepare filling: Combine peaches, raspberries, 2/3 cup sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer the fruit mixture to a colander set over a medium bowl and let drain for 30 minutes. Pour the collected juice into a small saucepan. Return the fruit to the large bowl. Bring the juice to a boil over high heat and cook, gently swirling the pan, until reduced, syrupy and slightly darkened in color, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the syrup to the fruit along with cornstarch; gently toss until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.

Pour filling into 9" Pie shell, cover with lid and flute.

Bake the pie on the center rack until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 1/2 hours.

NOTE:  I baked in a preheated 450* oven for 15 minutes, then at 350* for a further 30-35 minutes.

  • Tip: Peaches that are ripe but still firm bake up perfectly tender while still holding their shape. To peel, dip peaches in boiling water for about 1 minute to loosen their skins. Let cool slightly, then remove the skins with a paring knife.

NUTRITION
Per serving: 313 calories; 10 g fat ( 4 g sat , 4 g mono ); 14 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein;4 g fiber; 129 mg sodium; 220 mg potassium.


I find it strange, as usually when I put a recipe on "Cindy's Recipe Exchange", I put where I got the recipe from, however didn't this time.  Wherever I did get it from I do so appreciate it, as it was sooooo "delish" !

We did get a little bit of rain yesterday after lunchtime, but by 3:30 we were able to head out on our Motorbikes for a little adventurous tour.  First stop was at Renee's Restaurant & Gas Bar in Mar, a little ways  up from us "Just North of the Checkerboard".

"There are certainly not too many places around anymore where you can stop for a meal, and fill up with gas at a "full service" gas bar."


Once gassed up, we headed up to and across the Red Bay Road, where we came along to the Oliphant Fen, where the four of enjoyed the walk around its boardwalk.

"A little posted history on the Oliphant Fen.  A very enjoyable walk to the tune of the Bull Frogs."





"To the "trained eye", unlike my own, I am sure there were many more wonders to see other then these "Pitcher Plants" which seemed to be in abundance."



As a plant lover, I thought they were pretty cool and funky looking.

After the Oliphant Fen, we made our way back home since it was almost time for supper by that time.

"Um mm,  a supper of hamburgers with the works !"


Ha,ha,ha.,...not really, this is a "Hamburger Cake" which our son, Paul, bought down at the bakery section of our downtown Foodland Store.  I must tell you, I did try a little piece and it was very moist and good...lol.

"Speaking of our son, Paul, here he is on my laptop, I can assure you NOT reading his Mother's "blog", but more then likely checking out trucks on Kijiji if I know him as well as I think I do...."


 


"All the while I, his Mother, was in the kitchen slaving away to get one of his most favorite meals of Venison Roast and Sausage together for our "real" supper.  LOL, and loving every minute of it, I was."




Supper was so good served alongside new potatoes and fresh picked sweet corn.  Then fresh peach pie for desert, with the exception of Rob, of course, having his very own Key Lime pie.

Once supper was over and cleaned up with, we headed downtown to our local Tim Horton's to have a "Night Cap".

"Not too sure what Vicki was rooting around for in their back carrier, but hope she found what she was looking for..."


"Once it started getting dark, we did a "light" check before we made our way back home."


Not long after arriving back home, it wasn't too much longer when we all decided to call it a "day", as a great day we all had, or so I thought anyway, but on the other hand I hadn't heard any complaints from the "Peanut Gallery" either.

Today is another day with big plans of a tour on the bikes up and around Lion's Head, Dyer's Bay and onto Tobermory where we are planning to stop for the "very best" homemade French Fries, Rob and I have ever had at DNA Fish & Chips.

We were playing with the thought of going to the Owen's Sound Drive-in's Dusk to Dawn tonight, however we were all wondering if any of us would even begin to stay awake long enough to watch the first movie, never mind four of them.....lol.  

We have all decided that dinner out would be more in order for us, so we opted to make reservations at the King's Buffet in Owen Sound.  No fuss, no muss, and no dishes....I love it !

Now onto checking out what the Wiarton Airport's Weather guy has to say about what is going on in my day ahead at his following link:


Okay, he does say the showers are "ending this morning", so today I am going to hold him to his word, as I have made plans that do NOT include any of this rain nonsense.....which will be my next "adventure" I am off and running towards in this brand new day ahead, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".



No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...