Tuesday 5 April 2011

Will it be a Homemade Mustard Day Today?

What is up with this weather?  Oh yeah, April showers bring May flowers, that has to be it.  It is 0 Celsius with a very blustery wind outside my patio doors this morning, don't think any flowers will be popping their heads up today or anytime soon.  Brrrrr....and I am not putting my Winter coat away just yet.

It is funny how fast the weather changes, as Saturday and Sunday just past I had bedding out to dry on the clothes line.  Today if I hung laundry on the line, if I didn't blow away first, I would find it down in Colpoy's Bay !  Oh and by the way was it ever nice to crawl into those Spring fresh sheets Sunday evening; like I could imagine what a little piece of heaven would be like as it smelled so fresh!

Today:

Cloudy with sunny periods and 60 percent chance of wet flurries. Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 50. High plus 2. UV index 3 or moderate.

Tonight:


Cloudy with 60 percent chance of wet flurries early this evening and 60 percent chance of flurries overnight. Low minus 2.


Go figure, more wet flurries in the forecast.  Does not surprise me one bit.......and I will be keeping the wood stove fired up, keeping the dampness from our bones as long as this weather continues like this.  Patience is supposedly a virtue, so had better start practicing it until better weather arrives.

Speaking of patience, I was so proud of myself yesterday, after I finished up the laundry I had started on the weekend, I got Rob's downstairs bathroom sparkling clean!!!!  Let me tell you it was very, very scary in there, but I was a real trooper and got it done!  When there is something I really dislike doing, that I keep putting off and off and off, I try to get it in my head to tackle it first to get it over with.  Once it gets tackled and over with. it does bring on that feeling of relief....and what a relief it was to have that bathroom cleaned!

Let me see, what could possibly be on my agenda on a cold blustery day like today?

First things first, as my girlfriend wants me to take her shopping to get her sweetie a present for his upcoming Birthday.  We will venture into Owen Sound this morning to see what we can accomplish.  Zeller's has 50% off the drapery hardware, and I could use some tiebacks for my bedroom, and there are a few items at Walmart I wouldn't mind picking up.  I might as well make the trip worthwhile by picking up some grocery items I need, as it is cheaper to purchase items in Owen Sound then at our local Food Market here in town.

With gasoline and food prices on the increase, I am finding myself trying to be more frugal then I already am (I don't know how I could be more frugal then I already am at times).  I surely wouldn't want to be raising a young family right now with everything priced sky high for the necessities of life.

I would like to be gone and home early from shopping today, as I have it in my head to make some Homemade Mustard.  The recipe is from Rob's Mother, which I have only tried once before Christmas and was told it was "just like Mom's" by Rob, his sister and brothers.  I was very flattered by their compliments. 

Yesterday I washed all the jars so they are ready to be used, and I will just have to check the recipe to make sure I have everything on hand before I go shopping.

I just hate when I start a recipe thinking I have all the necessary ingredients to find, usually right in the middle of making the recipe, I am missing an ingredient (that I was sure I had), then have to run out to pick up the missing ingredient!  The one time this happened to me I was already to go to the store and realized I didn't have a vehicle that day; you can well imagine I was not a very happy camper when I came to the realization I was grounded......LOL.  I got by and of course that day has long passed by without the sky falling down on me.

I have also it in my head to make a double batch of chili, since I did take the hamburger out yesterday to thaw, so that will be another task to get done today.  I think my agenda for the day has been filled to the brim, so I had better not top it up any more.

I took chicken legs out for supper tonight.  I am going to make another one of Rob's favorite dishes from the Masterson Family Cookbook, "Chicken and Rice" a recipe of my Aunt Gladys'.

3 lb. chicken cut up or breasts
1 1/2 cup rice (instant not cooked)
1/2 pkg. Lipton dried onion soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cup boiling water
salt, pepper, butter, paprika

Method:
Mix soups, rice and water together.  Put in greased casserole; set in chicken.  Dot each piece with butter; sprinkle over top paprika, salt and pepper.  Cover and bake at 325-350 F for 1 1/2 hours.

I love the Masterson Family Cookbook, as there are some really good recipe favorites from so many my family members, and you know these recipes would have been tried, tested & true a few times over.

I am sitting here feeling a very cold chilly draft coming from somewhere.  I suppose I should be getting up off my duff to see about firing up this wood stove.  When it is windy like it is now the house seems to cool off faster if the wood stove has gone out....brrrr.

Once again, I am off and running, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...