Thursday 21 April 2011

Calcium Pills Raise Heart Risks? Don't Women Have Enought to Deal With !

I was sitting here just "blogging" away yesterday morning, when Rob came into the room to tell me the News had just stated there had been a new study saying, "Calcium pills raise heart risks" in 15-20% of woman taking it!  I was "shocked", as my Mother and I take 1000 mg of calcium every day, along with 1000 units of Vitamin D.

As most of us well know, menopause, along with other life factors cause weakening, breakdown and/or bone loss, as we being women age, hence taking a "Calcium" supplement.

The Doctor's offices will be swamped with inquiries with woman wanting 'new' advice on this matter.  I, for one, will be asking my own Doctor at my appointment this morning.  I am thinking since the Doctors are so swamped, as well as there being a shortage of Doctors, that maybe the Ontario Health Line will have some updated, and hopefully solid, advice on this new Health issue that has just came to light! 

Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-0000

• In an emergency, always dial 911


Telehealth Ontario is a free service provided by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care that allows Ontario residents to speak to a Registered Nurse with their medical questions any time of the day or night. It's designed to provide quick answers, information and advice. This could be when you're sick or injured but aren't sure if you need to see a doctor or can treat the situation at home. It may also be questions you have about an ongoing or previously diagnosed condition, or general questions about nutrition, sexual health or healthy lifestyles.

I have saved the CTV's News Video in my favorites for my own future reference, and for anyone else that might need hear the article:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110419/calcium-supplements-heart-110419/

My one sister has severe osteoporosis in the spine of her back, having to take a prescription Calcium supplement weekly.  This is a "very" big concern for her, as well as many of us, so I surely hope there are some alternatives to this new situation soon, answering the many questions there will be arising from this. 

The month of April doesn't only bring rain for May flowers, it also is "Cancer Awareness Month".  I know my family has been touched by Cancer, as my Mother at age 80 years, as well as her sister in her 50-60's, have both had "Mastectomies", with other family members, whether Aunts, Uncles or cousins, sufffering from the effects of cancer as well.

To show my support I have gone to the Cancer website to "click for my "Mama":

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2 

This was the "Click for My Mama" Video I found there, and I am encouraging everyone to "Click for Their Mama":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veNaqloP7Co

I have listened to this video at least 5 times since yesterday, absolutely loving it's message every time.

I was in such a "Healthy Mood" yesterday, I made some Strawberry Yogurt Muffins containing only 160 calories, 6,76 g fat & .82 g sat. fat, and they taste so so "good" !




Ingredients1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 carton (6 ounces) raspberry yogurt
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup raspberries


Method

Preheat oven to 400˚F. Spray, grease or put paper liners in 12 (2 ¾ inch) muffin cups. In medium mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients. In small bowl, beat together yogurt, oil and egg. Stir yogurt mixture and raspberries into dry mixture until almost blended. Add raspberries and stir until batter is just blended. Do not over mix. Spoon into prepared muffin cups. Bake until nicely browned, about 20 minutes.

As always I made a couple little changes. Our yogurt comes in 100g cartons, so I used two of them, as I thought the batter was a bit too stiff for me. I made 9 of each muffins (Raspberry and Strawberry). If you notice you're only using 1/3 cup of sugar, so I sprinkled around a 1/4 tsp of granulated sugar on each muffin before I put it in the oven to bake. They only took around 18 minutes, so watch the timing.

I got this recipe from Gillian Turnbull, who has just recently joined "Tammy & Cindy's Recipe Exchange" group on Facebook.  I followed Gill's notes, denoted in red, to a "T", other then the sprinkling of the sugar on top, and also substituting the raspberries with strawberries.  I agree wholeheartedly with Gill, if two 100 g containers of yogurt are not used, the batter would be extremely dry.  Gillian also has her own "Blog", under the guise of "The British Woman".  I will be checking in more often to see what other pots she dabbles her fingers in, other then baking.  Thanks Gill for sharing, as this is an "awesome Muffin recipe".

Easter weekend is almost upon us.....I have decided on having Ham & Scalloped Potatoes for our Easter Dinner.  What day I am having our dinner on it is still undecided, as our children are not coming this Easter, so it will just be Rob, Mother and myself.  Sunday is looking to be the most probable so far, so I am thinking that will be the day.  I suppose I should take the ham out of the freezer today, and place into the fridge to give it a change to thaw before Sunday.......

Oops, almost forgot the weather.....since we had such a rotten Wintry mix of weather yesterday, I am almost scared to see what the Wiarton Airport is predicting for today:


Today:




Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries this morning then a mix of sun and cloud. High 6. UV index 6 or high.

Tonight:

Clear. Becoming cloudy periods after midnight. Low minus 1.

There is "Sun" in that mix !!!!  There is hope for this day's weather after all.

I think I will have that second cup of coffee now before I make the bed and ready myself for the drive up to Lion's Head this morning, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...