Thursday 28 April 2011

A "Bug" in Our House....Hoping it Will Be Exterminated Real Soon !!!

We are busy enough with our lives without some crazy little "bug" coming in to interrupt things.  With the weather changing constantly from cold to warm, wet to damp, warm to cold, these little "bugs" seem to thrive on these changes, and really take advantage of us when we get ourselves run down by trying to get all that outside work done in one warm, balmy day or two of nice weather, or all that inside Spring cleaning accomplished in a day or two.  

The end of last week I felt nauseated, but kept on going not paying any attention to it, and it passed.  Yesterday the nausea was back again, I  was feeling tired, wrung out, and my body felt like "lead".  We all have known what this feeling is like at one time or another.  I think I have, once again, been overdoing things at a too steady of a pace, and need to slow it down some.  Hopefully this yechy stomach and nausea will leave me very soon, surely not soon enough to suit me!

Then there is poor "Rob".  He has been up and down to the bathroom so many times, since the wee hours of the morning, that I had lost count.  Poor guy, he feels just awful, and I am happy I don't yet feel quite as bad as he does, and hope not to.  I am glad he has gone back to bed (how is it that "guys" can sleep through anything or anytime?)  The only good thing is that we are both experiencing this "bug" at the same time, so luckily we won't be giving it back and forth to each other, as this has happened before.

It is a really good thing I made Turkey Stock just the other day, as I will be taking some out of the freezer this morning to make up a batch of Turkey Vegetable Soup.  Just what "Dr. Cindy" has ordered for "Poor Rob", and herself.  LOL....I might be under the weather, but thank goodness I can still have a "sense of humor".

Speaking of "under the weather", our weather out side our house is very very windy and wet this morning, and oh so dark !  The thunder has been rolling across the skies with rain pouring down from them, quite heavy at times, since the wee hours of the morning.  It doesn't appear it will be letting up any time soon by the looks of those skies when I had Lexus and Bandit out earlier.  Now this is the kind of weather that makes you feel like staying in bed with a really good book! 

I wonder if the Wiarton Airport people are going back to bed today with a good book, as I can't see much of a promise in the way of sunshine today:

Today:

Showers. Risk of a thunderstorm early this morning. Amount 20 mm. Wind becoming northwest 30 km/h late this morning then becoming southwest 30 gusting to 50. Temperature falling to plus 4 this morning then steady

Tonight:

Showers. Wind southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming light after midnight. Temperature steady near plus 3

Definitely "no sunshine" today....but then again they have been wrong before !

The way I was feeling yesterday, and at the moment, I certainly didn't get much accomplished in the way of routine housework or Spring cleaning jobs.  I did manage to use up all but two bananas from the bowl on my kitchen counter in the Best Ever Banana Muffin recipe from the Muffin Mania book:

Best Ever Banana Muffins (Muffin Mania Book)

2 c. mashed bananas (4-5 med.)
3/4 c. white sugar
1 egg
1/3 c. melted butter or margarine
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour

Mash bananas. Add sugar and slightly beaten egg; Add melted butter. Add the dry ingredients; Fill greased muffin cups and bake at 375 * F for 20 minutes.

*Yields - 9 large muffins

Tips to Lighten this Muffin: Reduce butter amount to 1/4 cup & sugar amount to 2/3 cup

These banana muffins are the "best" I have ever had:



Jeanne, I hope you do notice there are none missing from the muffin pan, as you do notice when there is?  LOL.....  You also might notice the recipe says it yields 9 large muffins, whereas I stretched it out to get 12 nice sized muffins.

I am very grateful to have bananas on my kitchen counter top, as I was surprised by the statement my Australian friend, Jiba May, shared with me earlier today:

"No aged bananas at our house Cindy! Not with bananas $12-$15 a kilo, thanks to cyclone Yassi. No bananas at all in fact!"

There are still two bananas on my counter, and they will NOT be wasted.  They will either be cut up into cereal or put into the freezer for a later use.  We wasted so much, and I really hate if I have been wasteful myself.  We also take so much for granted, and "Thank You, Jiba, for reminding me of this" !

I also made last night's supper easy by putting together a "Turkey Pot Pie" with lots of vegetables and a Bisquick topping, served with sliced tomatoes on the side.  My key motto, "Simple, Easy & Nutritious" !!!

I am always on the lookout for new recipe ideas, or how to change up an old standby recipe, so on my search yesterday I came across a couple of websites for Turkey and Ham leftover recipes.  These two articles not only provide recipes, but also come interesting facts:

Turkey Leftovers:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/bl111797a.htm


Ham Leftovers:

http://leftoverhamrecipes.info/

I will be taking the time later today to look at both sites a little more in depth, picking and choosing any recipes I might like to try out at a later date.  I only have enough leftover turkey to put into today's soup, and the ham is still in my freezer.  Speaking of ham, leftover ham can be used up in a "Perfect Perogy Casserole":

Perfect Perogy Casserole

16 -20 perogies
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
1/2 cup cooked ham, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (284 ml) can condensed mushroom soup



Directions:



Prep Time: 10 mins



Total Time: 45 mins


  1.  In a small skillet melt butter
    or margarine and saute onion and green pepper for 5 minutes.
  2.  In a medium size casserole dish,
    combine frozen perogies, onion, green pepper and ham.
  3.  Combine milk and mushroom soup
    and pour over casserole.
  4.  Top with cheddar cheese.
  5.  Bake 35 minutes at 175C (350F)
    or microwave until heated
My tummy is starting to "rock & roll" so I had better lay off the "Java" for the rest of the day , sticking  to water, so no more Java until the tummy settles, "Just North of Wiarton & South of the Checkerboard".

No comments:

Post a Comment

How nice of you to drop around to have a wee visit with me to see what I have been up to from time to time. I look forward to your comments as they add much brightness to my each and every day to know there are such wonderful people out there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...